Pleasant Street School News
building a community of learners that strive for excellence
MCAS math is next week!
Grade 3 students- Monday, May 11 and Thursday, May 14th
Grade 4 students- Wednesday, May 13 and Friday, May 15th
What we need from families:
- Please be sure to have your child to school on time by 8:30 am.
- Have your child get a good nights sleep and be well rested.
- Please pack a nutritious snack and water bottle.
- Be positive and encourage your child to do his or her best.
- For fun you could pack a little well wishing note from home for your child!
Teacher Appreciation Week Thanks!
Family Yoga Night was Fun
Preschool hosts a Muffins and Moms breakfast in honor of Mother's Day
We want to thank the many families who were able to join us for our Muffins and Moms breakfast program and to our fabulous preschool teachers who made this event possible. To see more pictures from this event please click on our short video link below.
State Projects from Mrs. Heuer's Third Grade
It sure was fun being in Mrs. Heuer's class this week and seeing all of the amazing state report projects! Students enjoyed researching and then presenting their reports and respective artifacts with their classmates. Student volunteers took pictures of each other's projects which Principal Ellis made into a short video.
Please click on our video link below to see some of our many projects!https://animoto.com/play/0n3SERXoKtzlzH6txhxw6w
Table of the Month for April Goes to Mrs. Jones' Second Grade :-)
Pleasant Street School Combats Hunger
We invite you to send in non-perishable food items from Monday, May 11th and continuing until Tuesday, May 19th. We are looking forward to filling all of the student council decorated boxes below and then some! We are even hoping to spur a friendly competition with other district schools over who can collect the most proportionally based on student enrollment. Let's go Pleasant Street!
Spring Time Health Reminders:
Happy Spring everyone! With warmer weather finally here, we find ourselves spending more time outdoors, leading to sun and insect exposure. I would like to remind the Pleasant Street Community about the importance of sunburn and insect bite prevention. I encourage parents to apply sunscreen to your child’s skin before school. I also recommend brimmed hats and sunglasses to be worn while outside. Along with sun protection, we must be cautious about tick bite prevention. Steps you and your child can take to prevent tick bites include:
· Performing daily body tick checks, including clothing and hair.
· Apply insect repellant with DEET to clothing. Avoid applying DEET directly to your child’s skin and follow the directions on the insect repellant packaging.
· If found, remove ticks immediately. A tick may be removed using tweezers. Grasp the tick as close to the skin’s surface as you can, pull tick upward with steady pressure. Wash the area with warm soap and water.
· Monitor your child for signs of infection, including: fever, rash, swelling, joint pain, muscle aches, etc. Notify your child’s health care provider with concerns/symptoms. For more information on ticks, please visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website: http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/
Please feel free to call or e-mail me with questions or concerns.
Alison Joyce, BSN, RN
Community Events & Postings
Do you have news to share or want to inform members of our school community about family friendly events in our area? If, so please email or forward a flyer or link.
Thank you :)
Big Brothers/ Big Sisters Program is enrolling children for the 2015-2016 school year program. They serve children in the Athol/Orange area with transportation provided from Riverbend and Butterfield Schools. Please click on the link below for more information about this program and how you can be involved.
For other local events, happenings, and resources in this area... you can also check the North Quabbin Community Coalition website below:
Upcoming Events...Mark your Calendars!
Upcoming Events and Dates
- May 11-15th, MCAS math administration for grades 3 & 4
- May 19, Memorial day program, 1:00 pm
- May 20, Memorial day program, (raindate!)
- May 25, Memorial Day holiday observed, no school
- May 29,New date!- Toy Bingo, 6-8 pm, sponsored by the PTO
- June 1-June 4, spring administration of MAPS assessments