by Israel Colston
Brief History Of Ecuador
The flag of Ecuador was adopted on 7 November 1900, it has three stripes yellow, blue, and red yellow being the largest. An emblem is in the middle of the flag. Red represents the blood shed by the soldiers. Blue represents the color of the sea and sky. Yellow represents the richness of the land and the many crops they have.(Culturegram) Ecuador was part of the Inca empire in the 1530s. The last Inca king, Atahualpa, was of part Ecuadorian origin. Under the Spaniards, Ecuador was included in the viceroyalty of Peru (except for a brief period) until 1739. It then joined the new viceroyalty of New Granada (Alexander).
Major Issues In Ecuador
Ecuador's major issues are erosion (mostly in the highlands),deforestation (mostly in the Oriente) and polluted water. Another big issue is Ecuador's poverty, this country has a lot of problems some that may not ever be solved, like erosion, that's just nature taking it's course. If you think about a place as beautiful and rich as Ecuador these problems can be hidden. ( CIA World Factbook,).
Until the discovery of large petroleum deposits , Ecuador's economy was based on agriculture. Agriculture is still important in Ecuador, even though only about 10% of Ecuador's land can be used for farming (Rau).A new oil pipeline that had been made in the country made Ecuador a large oil distributor. Ecuador also made profit in 2004 because a raise in oil prices (Alexander). Manufacturing employs about 20% of Ecuador's workers. Major manufactures include food products, such as beverages; petroleum; chemicals and fertilizers; textiles; furniture; and light metals (Diezcanseco).
The higher places, have lower the temperatures. The coastal lowlands, the lower western Andean slopes, and the Oriente are mostly warm, and tropical like. The climate becomes cooler in the highland valleys. If you go above 12,000 feet it is cold. And the higher Andean peaks are snow-covered all year long. In the Orient it rains mostly , here you may get over 100 inches of rain each year.The mainland of Ecuador has three regions, the coastal lowlands, the Andean highlands , and the Oriente, or eastern region. The Galápagos Islands (Rau).
1. Ecuador was created in 1830, after the collapse of Gran Colombia.
2. Ecuador is named for the equator
3. Forming a part of the landscape of the country are the Galápagos Islands,
4. Guinea pig is considered to be a tasty food in Ecuador.5. The colors of the flag is yellow for the diversity in the country, blue for the sky and the sea, and red for the blood of those who fought for independence.
6. Ecuador was inhabited by the Native American peoples
7. Ecuador has many active volcanoes and also, one of the greatest densities of volcanoes in the world.8. Ecuador’s Independence Day is on August 10th. (TrueNomads)
You will need:
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 5-6 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or olive oil, divided
- 1 package Sazon Goya with archiote (or substitute 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon archiote powder)
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup shredded white cheese (queso fresco, mozzarella, Monterey jack)
- 1/4-1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Salsa de mani (Peanut Sauce)
( Marian )