Port Jefferson UFSD Newsletter
Human Resources - 1st Edition
Something New - Human Resources website
See what's new on our Human Resources website: https://www.portjeffschools.org/departments/human_resources
Spread the word - There is now a link to Employment Opportunities in Port Jefferson - Click on the link and you see all of our open positions in one place: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bvRyejQuX5kZ2JKHE9mxciw6CUJ1PXeQAuVK9-f_DoA/edit?usp=sharing
We also have links to OLAS, Indeed and our PJ OLAS Supplemental Application to make the applying more accessible.
Know someone whose interested in becoming a teaching assistant? Link them in - there's a link to information on the NYSED Certification Application process and step by step instructions on what you need to do in order to become a certified Teaching Assistant.
2023 Labor Laws - are now accessible for view online.
UPDATE - NYS COVID-19 SICK LEAVE
UPDATES TO COVID-19 DISTRICT PROCEDURE
- If you are experiencing fever or feeling feverish/having chills, diarrhea or vomiting - STAY HOME - do not come to work
- If you're experiencing other symptoms of illness you may come to work
- Get COVID tested by a healthcare facility or provider.
- If positive - Contact/email your immediate supervisor, myself and Adam Sherrard - if you have symptoms, please include the date symptoms started
- Enter "sick" as your absence from work into AESOP or timesheet.
- In order to be eligible for the NYS COVID-19 paid sick leave, you must provide documentation from a licensed medical provider or testing facility attesting that the employee has tested positive for COVID-19 in order to qualify New York's COVID-19 sick leave. At home tests are no longer accepted.
- Once I am in receipt of your proof of positive results and if you're eligible, I will change your sick days to covid paid days from the onset of symptoms. (Please note: According to NYS "In no event shall an employee qualify for sick leave under New York's COVID-19 sick leave law for more than three orders of quarantine or isolation. " Two of the three occurrences must be based on a positive test result for the employee themselves)
- You will receive an email from me regarding your isolation period and when you are cleared to return to work
- You do not need to retest or test negative to return to work
Board of Education
Need to locate our Board Agendas and Minutes: https://go.boarddocs.com/ny/portjeff/Board.nsf/vpublic?open
Welcome New Staff!
Business Office Corner
Benefits Corner - Highlighted Benefit
I. Entitles eligible employees to:
- take up to 12 workweeks (26 weeks for military caregiver leave)
- of unpaid, job protection leave
- in a 12 month period
- for specified family and medical reasons
- the right to take a leave
- the right to continuation of benefits
- reinstatement to same or equivalent job
To be eligible for FMLA benefits, an employee must:
- Work for a covered employer
- Have been employed by the employer for a total of 12 months
- Have worked at least 1,250 hours (hours worked) in the immediately preceding 12 months, and
- Work at a location in the U.S. or in a territory or possession of the U.S., where at least 50 employees are employed by the employer within 75 miles
Eligible Reasons for Leave
- Birth and care of the newborn child of the employee
- Placement of a child for adoption or foster care with the employee
- Care for an immediate family member (spouse, child or parent) with a serious health condition
- Medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition
- To care for a military member or veteran under "military caregiver leave" (26-week entitlement) or
- Under exigencies for deployment, etc., of a military member
For more information click on the presentation below or contact HR for an appointment
MENTAL HEALTH CORNER
One-minute Stress Strategies
Slow it down to soothe mind and body -
- Exhale with sound through your mouth to the count of eight
- Inhale quietly through your nose to the count of four
- Hold your breath to the count of seven
- Repeat for 4 breath cycles, and ideally twice a day
What is EAP?
It's an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through BOCES: https://www.portjeff.k12.ny.us/download/pdfs/Business_Office/Benefits/EAPRightForMeBrochure.pdf, that provides confidential crisis intervention, assessment and referral services to employees, retired employees and their families.
EAP can assist you by helping to:
- Explore fully the presenting concerns and the factors that are influencing your emotional, physical and mental well-being
- Clarify the options available to address your specific needs.
- Prioritize the steps necessary to address and resolve your concerns.
- Advocate for quality and affordable assistance.
Below are a few examples of services EAP provides counseling for:
- Domestic Violence
- Marital conflict
EAP provides services 12 months a year and is available during school breaks and summer. They have both daytime and evening hours. To schedule an appointment or would like additional information, you can call (631) 289-0480 or visit their website: www.esboces.org/EAP and visit the EAP orientation PowerPoint presentation on the welcome page
1741D North Ocean Avenue
Medford, NY 11763
35 Crooked Hill Road, Suite 103
Commack, NY 11725
Hampton Bays Office
188 W Montauk Hwy, Suite E1
Hampton Bays, NY 11946
Learn more about our Policies
Excerpt: For an employee's own serious health condition, the District requires an employee to use any earned paid time off such as sick, personal or vacation days to be used concurrently for the purpose of FMLA unpaid leave until their healthcare provider certifies that they are no longer disabled/unable to work.
The employee shall notify the District of his/her request for leave, if foreseeable, at least 30 days prior to the date when the leave is to begin. If such leave is not foreseeable then the employee shall give such notice as is practical.
For more information click on the link above
CALENDAR - MARCH
March 6, 2023 @ 6pm - ES PTA Talent Show
March 11, 2023 @7:30pm - SCMEA Division III Concert
March 17th - March 18th @ 7pm & March 19th @2pm - HS Spring Musical - Auditorium
FUN DAYS TO REMEMBER!
- Employee Appreciation Day - March 3rd
- International Women's Day - March 6th
- Spring Ahead - March 12th - don't forget to change your clocks!!
- Pi Day - March 14th
- St. Patrick's Day - March 17th
- 1st Day of Spring - March 20th
- International Day of Happiness - March 20th
- National Puppy Day - March 23rd
Faces of District Office Administration
Superintendent of Schools
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
Robert Neidig, Ed.D.
Executive Director of Human Resources
Director of Facilities & Transportation
Director of Special Education
Jodi Cahill, Ed.D.