SPARK Academy Newsletter - September 9, 2022
New Sensory Path Installed
The students and teachers of SPARK are excited to have a brand new sensory path. A sensory path or hall is a colorful, creative, and playful way for kids to build connections in the brain that are responsible for sight, touch, and sound, which enable kids to complete complex, multi-stage tasks.This space-themed pathway helps students engage in physical activities like hopping, reaching, and bending low while counting down or following the letters of the alphabet. Our path was made possible by a grant from the Make a Way Foundation, who provided the path and coordinated with volunteers who spent a Saturday working to install the wall and floor decals. Team SPARK is grateful for our community support.
All students can use to the pathway when appropriate, and because of its prominent location just outside the entrance to the cafeteria, all students have seen the sensory hall. You can start a conversation with your child by asking what they think of the "decorations" outside of entrance to the cafeteria. So far the reactions have been very positive.
PTO Corner - Join Us for Our First PTO Meeting
Our first PTO meeting is September 27th at 6:00 pm. Come out to enjoy refreshments and door prizes, and to get valuable information about our school and PTO. Most importantly, this is an opportunity for you to provide your input. We hope to see you there!
- Don't forget to send in your party money. Each student is asked to bring in $8 to help cover the cost of our Halloween and Christmas parties. Please send cash in a sealed envelope labeled "Party Money" as soon as possible.
- Join the PTO Facebook group. PTO members can get updates through the PTO page. Just search for the SPARK PTO group and request to join.
SPARK PTO Officers:
Casey Bearden, president
Nancy Hipolito, vice president
Kelly Nave, secretary
Riley Greene, treasurer
See the attachment below for the full flier and coupons.
September 23: Professional Learning Day/No school for students & Marco's Pizza Night
September 27: PTO meeting at 6 p.m.
October 4: 2nd Grade field trip to Cathedral Caverns
October 10-14 : Fall Break
October 19: Reports go home for first 9-week grading period
October 27: Kindergarten field trip to Birmingham Zoo
October 31: Halloween party at 1:45
November 10: Veteran's Day Holiday ( no school)
November 23-25: Thanksgiving Holiday (no school)
Our students spend the entire day learning, so having them here on time and avoiding checkouts is extremely important. Here are some general reminders to help support good attendance for your child:
- Our school day is 7:45 a.m. until 2:45 p.m.
- Parents should bring students who arrive late to the office to check them in.
- Check-outs are conducted through the office.
- Any missed school will be categorized as an excused absence, excused tardy, unexcused absence, or unexcused tardy.
- Excessive absences and tardies will subject the student and parent to truancy policies and procedures
Read the full attendance policy for Athens City Schools here: