3L Weekly News
Week Ending January 16, 2015
This week in...
Reading: we wrapped main idea and supporting detail by reading different biographies on famous historical figures. Additionally, we created main idea "clouds" and attached supporting detail "snow flakes" that fell from the cloud. We finished lesson 10 after completing reading responses to our anthology Young Thomas Edison. Finally, we read the biography titled Jump! written by Floyd Cooper. The story is about Michael Jordan’s childhood and events that lead him to become one of the greatest basketball players of all time. During this story, we reviewed vocabulary terms and worked on the target skill: fact and opinion; and the strategy: questioning. We'll continue working with this text next week.
Math: we used base-ten blocks to count large numbers. We also used polygons to review area and perimeter. Additionally, we used base-10 blocks to model and review decimals and fractions. We also practiced reading and writing decimals by examining different Olympic track and field times and comparing how close different runners were to each other! Furthermore, we reviewed the concept of line plots by adding titles, marking the frequency of a number, and analyzing the line plot. We found the maximum, minimum, range, median, and mode. Finally, students were given flats (on paper) and designed their names by coloring 1 letter on each flat. After designing the flats, students found the decimal and fraction for each letter.
Writing: this week we wrapped up our informational writing unit with the last three lessons. These lessons incorporated writing conclusions, paragraphing, and editing to ensure we had all the components of good informational writing. Starting next week we will be using a website called Haiku Deck to publish our writing.
Social Studies: students completed the next task on their landform foldable: illustrating the landforms they researched. In Spanish, students are learning about climate. Senior Bayona will be working with us to help translate the climate of each area (surrounding the landform) from English to Spanish!
Science: we began our latest unit on Chemistry. Each student has been provided with a pair of goggles and will be conducting experiments in small groups. Students will be challenged to identify various unknown “substances” through hands on experiments. They will make predictions and use the results of each experiment to determine what each substance is. This week we practice safety routines, handling our materials, and brainstorming everything we knew about chemicals. We also discussed the importance of not trying any experiments at home without parent supervision. We certainly have some mad scientists in this classroom! :-)
Cursive: we completed a review on the letters we've learned up to this point.
Grammar: this week we discussed how and when to use pronouns. Additionally, we reviewed how to make nouns plural and singular. We also discussed how nouns change spelling when changing from the singular to plural form.
Check This Out!
1. Moby Max
2. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- We will be going to the Arden Theatre to see Beauty and the Beast. Please pack your child a bagged lunch. We should be back in time for lunch, but I want to be sure all students have something to eat in case we run later than expected.
- Chaperones were included in my email. Please let me know ASAP if you are unable to attend.
- If students forget their Journeys Textbook, it can be accessed through think central.com. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed through everydaymathonline.com. The login information is also in the front of your child's Agenda book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
- We will have our spelling assessment on Wednesday, January 22nd.
- Each week, students will take a multiplication assessment. This assessment is NOT timed. However, it is important students memorize these facts. Flash cards and study aids will be sent home on Monday of each week.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Zach, Henry, Will, Tess M., Ava P, Sebastien, and Matty
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Megan: Friday, January 23th
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Henry: Monday, January 26th
- Kristin Fenerty: Tuesday, January 20th @ 8:40
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
January 20, 2015 Beginner Band Rehearsal H.S. Aud. @ 7:50 am
January 20, 2015 Beginner Strings (Gr. 3) Rehearsal H.S. Aud. @ 8:25 am
January 20, 2015 Beginner Strings and Winds H.S. Aud. @ 7:30 pm
January 30, 2015 Spaghetti/Bingo Night @ 6:30 pm
Specials This Week:
- No School
Tuesday is a Day 4:
Wednesday is a Day 5:
Thursday is a Day 6:
Friday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Music
A Word from Third
None at this time.