School Nutrition Weekly Newsletter
February 20, 2020
Updates and Reminders
Don't Forget! Special Dietary Needs Training Coming Up Soon!
- IDOE will be holding a four-hour training on special dietary needs on Tuesday, March 3.
- This training is intended for 504 coordinators, school nurses, and school foodservice to all attend together!
- Learn how to tackle special dietary needs adequately in your schools both as a team and as an individual department!
- Click here for more information and to register yourself as well as your school's nurse and 504 coordinator!
- Questions? Contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nutrition News Bites Webinar Reminder
- Don't forget! The next Nutrition News Bites Webinar will be Wednesday, February 26 at 2:00 p.m.
- Make sure to join IDOE as we go over updates, reminders, news, and important due dates.
- Also, as a reminder, IDOE will answer live questions at the end of the webinar as well.
- Click here to register.
Let's Celebrate Breakfast! *NEW* National School Breakfast Week Resources for Indiana and Grant Opportunities
- You are invited to celebrate National School Breakfast Week with the American Dairy Association Indiana, No Kid Hungry, and the Indiana Department of Education!
- How? It’s easy! Here are three ways you can celebrate:
- Post a short video on social media and answer the question “How does school breakfast #FuelGreatness?” Make sure to tag @INDairy, @NoKidHungry, and @EducateIN. Winners will be announced March 13.
- Check out all the great funding opportunities available to take your school's breakfast program to the next level. Deadlines vary.
- Nominate your School Breakfast Hero. A hero is anyone who works hard to ensure every student has a healthy meal at the start of the day, from food service staff to principals to teachers. Nominations close on March 27.
- Click here for more details on National School Breakfast Week in Indiana, how to boost your breakfast participation, and download the Indiana School Breakfast Toolkit.
- Questions? Contact Tarrah Westercamp, No Kid Hungry Indiana School Breakfast Manager at email@example.com.
Fitness Center Opportunity - Applications Now Available
- Governor Holcomb and fitness icon Jake Steinfeld are pleased to announce that nominations are open for Indiana schools to apply for a $100,000 DON’T QUIT!® fitness center from the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils (NFGFC).
- Contact your school leaders and encourage them to nominate your school by applying between now and Friday, March 20, 2020.
- Read more information here.
- The nomination form can be found here
Now Available! Additional Capabilities for the Food Buying Guide (FBG) Mobile App!
- The latest update has been released to the FBG Mobile App.
- Registered users with an eAuthentication account are able to access any saved information in the FBG Web Tool, such as a completed Recipe Analysis Workbook (RAW) or Product Formulation Statement (PFS) on their Mobile App.
- Registered users can also create and save a “Favorite Foods List,” a “Shopping List,” and analyze a grain item on the Exhibit A Grains Tool on the Mobile App, and then access these items on other mobile devices as well as the FBG Web Tool.
- The FBG Mobile App is available on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
- Make sure you have the most current version of the app on your mobile devices to utilize these updates.
Don't Forget! Pre-Order Survey Closing Soon!
- Don't forget! The annual pre-order survey closes at 4 p.m. ET next Friday, February 28.
- Once the survey closes it CANNOT be reopened.
- Questions? Contact Cheryl Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indiana School Nutrition Association (ISNA) and School Nutrition Association (SNA) Updates
ISNA Spring Regional Workshop
- Registration for the 2020 Spring Regional Workshops is now open!
- Space is limited at each location, so please register as soon as possible.
- Locations for this training are across the state starting February 25.
- The topic this year is Focus on the Customer, with lessons including building a customer-focused program, knowing the customer, the importance of customer service, responsibility for customer service, and rating your customer service.
- Click here for location information and to register.
ISNA Exclusive Awards
- ISNA values the opportunity to honor its members who have gone "above and beyond" in different aspects of their career, but may not have met the criteria set forth for the State SNA Awards.
- Members are encouraged to nominate someone for the awards summarized below(click the links for a printable nomination form or you may also nominate electronically).
- Awards will be presented at the Annual Conference in November 2020.
- Super Star Service Award - Click HERE to nominate electronically!
- Star Award
- Assistant Director/Supervisor of the Year - Click HERE to nominate electronically!
- Office Assistant of the Year - Click HERE to nominate electronically!
- Nominations for ISNA Awards are due to Sheri Shipp at email@example.com by Wednesday, April 1 unless otherwise noted.
- Questions about ISNA Awards? Contact ISNA Vice President, Stacie Light at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SNA Member Awards
- SNA celebrates members who work every day to ensure well-nourished students across the country are prepared for success.
- There are SNA awards to recognize every member type:
- Employee of the Year
- Manager of the Year, in honor of Louise Sublette
- Director of the Year
- Individuals may be nominated by peers, staff, colleagues, or supervisors for these awards.
- All nominees must be SNA members who hold an SNA Certificate in School Nutrition or the SNS credential throughout the entire awards nomination and judging process.
- Nominations are now being accepted online for the 2019-2020 awards and are due by Sunday, March 1.
SNA Annual National Conference (ANC) Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted!
- The 2020 Annual National Conference Scholarship is now open.
- The deadline to submit is Friday, April 24 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
- Click HERE for more information and to apply.
- For more scholarship opportunities offered by the School Nutrition Foundation, click HERE
- For scholarship opportunities offered by the Indiana School Nutrition Association, click HERE
IDOE Would Like Your Feedback on the Newsletter
IDOE is always working to ensure that you get the best information in the best way possible. In order to do so, we need your feedback! Click here to complete a quick, four question survey to help us continue to improve this newsletter to best meet your needs.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.