More Pollution, More Problems
The effects of water pollution.
Countries all over the world have water pollution problems
- 80% of water pollution comes from the people rather than industry, due to improper waste removal.
- Due to businesses being built along the river gas, oil, and plastic waste are put into the Mekong River.
- People in Cambodia rely on the polluted Mekong River for drinking water.
- 2/3's of child deaths in Cambodia are linked to waterborne disease.
- More than 85% of Lao's population lies along the Polluted Mekong River
- Water treatment plants in Lao date back to the early 20th century so they are virtually no good.
- Only 50% of people in rural areas have access to clean drinking water
- River water is becoming cloudy, and unsafe because of lack of regulation and enforcement of agriculture and mining.
- Wastewater is being discharged into the river making it more polluted.
- 40% of China's rivers are polluted.
- 20% of those rivers were to toxic to even come in contact with.
- In china 60,000 premature deaths occur annually due to Water Pollution.
- 80% of China's cities have no sewage treatment plants.
- 90% of China's underground water supplies are contaminated.
What can we do to help?
To help these countries we could do many things:
- Set up sewage treatment plants in these countries
- Educate the people on proper waste discharge
- Donate to these countries for better water.
The Effects of Water Pollution