GES Staff Update-Week of 2/1/16
2016 has started strong for all of us at GES. It's hard to believe January has ended and February is here! This is a good time for us to revisit our WHY. Every one of us has a crazy busy schedule when we are here, and has other responsibilities and obligations in our personal lives. During this hectic time, I hope you will take a minute to revisit WHY you choose to work with kids each day. Our impact on children is invaluable and is an awesome responsibility. I appreciate the way each of you "sees kids for what they can be" and looks past their flaws and sometimes challenging situations! I've added the link to a video I saw on Facebook this weekend that was a great reminder of our positive impact as educators. (See Facebook link in the gray box under this section.) I especially like the quote: "to teach is to inspire others to greatness" and "alone we are powerful, but together we are unstoppable." As we embark on the month of February, I hope you will take our A Happy Heart is a Healthy Heart challenge!! Over each of the 20 school days in February, please try one of the tasks listed on the chart Heather Hedges distributed on Friday. For every task you complete, add a heart sticker to that square. At the end of the month, turn your completed chart into Liz or Kim for a prize. It is amazing how great encouraging others can make you feel! Over the next few weeks, remember to take a minute to complete a 'popcorn praise' strip for a co-worker. *If you want other inspiration or ideas on how to share your story check out their website: http://teacher2teacher.education/
- Before this week's Data Days, please be sure that you've entered MOY data on your grade level's spreadsheet. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzaMxFimFa8saldPaENfZWM3Y1U
- This Friday, 2/5, GCISD will wear RED day to support American Heart Association. Friday will also be the last day for our Jump Rope for Heart campaign. Please wear red with your jeans and be sure to encourage your students to participate! Share class pictures of those in red with Kim or Nancy for Facebook!
- Mark your calendars for the upcoming progress report deadlines. Grade entry is due on 2/22/16 by 10p.m. Progress reports will post on 2/24/16.
- Kim & I will have mid-year PLP meetings with you all on Monday, 2/22 & Tuesday, 2/23. Sign up for a 15 minute time to meet with us on the following google form: https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/spreadsheets/d/1VzzZ8SeAS-npmqdWrk55tDvdl7JpYnuZyG4B4SSSE3o/edit?usp=sharing
- Monday, 2/29, will be our mandatory STAAR training for ALL staff. We will meet in the Learning Commons from 3:10-4:10. Please make arrangements to attend! If you cannot stay on our training date, you will need to attend on another campus. Please see Kim Ray asap if you know you have a conflict on 2/29.
- GCISD Parent App Committee: The district is moving forward with developing an app to launch before the 2016 school year! In an effort to incorporate elements that are most important to our parents - we are forming a parent app committee that will meet once or twice during the spring semester to provide suggestions and feedback on potential app designs/layouts. Our GES parent rep for the committee will be Sandra Wiley.
- Periscope: While we encourage and support teachers and campuses using social media, the live streaming app, Periscope, is one that we are not yet ready to use. We need to be understanding of parent and internet safety concerns, and Periscope is one social media tool we are not yet able to support. If you are using Periscope as a method to inform parents of what is happening in the classroom, please refrain from using it and instead post the videos to a private YouTube Channel where the only way to view a video is by sharing a link. If you have any further questions about acceptable use of teacher/campus social media channels, please contact Kristin Snively. Thanks!
Employee Satisfaction Survey
Monday, February 1, is the day our staff will take the survey in Google drive (Employee Survey). The link will be live on our school website from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. The survey is absolutely anonymous and is for ALL GES staff. If you need assistance logging in, please contact Josh Talbott. Human Resources values the information provided, as do I!
We are striving for 100% participation in this survey, so please make arrangements for this opportunity to share your thoughts on our campus and district! If our numbers represent that our entire staff has participated, we will have a special breakfast treat on Monday, 2/15, and jeans passes to use on other days!!
The link will be live on our school website from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. on February 1st.
To access the survey:
Go to any computer and sign in to the campus website.
Go to the Departments and Programs tab and select Library.
On the library webpage, there will be a link to the 2016 Employee Satisfaction Survey.
Click on the link, answer the questions and close the tab. This year there are two questions with open-ended responses.
If you are off campus on 2/1, please contact me for instructions on how you can participate! I appreciate your participation and your perspective as we strive to be the BEST!
Are You Ready for Some Football???
Let’s celebrate Super Bowl 50!! We will have our fifth annual Jeans, Jerseys, and Junk Food Celebration on Thursday, February 4th. Wear your favorite team colors and jeans. Please sign up to bring a salty or sweet treat to share. Kim has placed the sign up sheet in the teacher’s lounge on the back of the door leading to the front office.
If you are not currently registered to vote, you may fill out an informal online application here: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/reqvr.shtml Once you have completed the application, you will need to print the documents and send them into the Tarrant County voter registrar's office. (Voter Registration Tarrant County Elections at 2700 Premier Street Fort Worth, Texas 76111-3011) Early voting begins on April 25, 2016 and early voting ends on May 3, 2016.
Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Let your voice be heard...vote!
The current year's supply list can be located in our GES Google Faculty & Staff folder: https://drive.google.com/a/gcisd.net/folderview?id=0B90_DLAhTR6MU180TG9ZempXMjg&usp=sharing
Monday, 2/1 Employee Survey day
Monday, 2/1-Friday, 2/5 National School Counselor Recognition Week
Tuesday, 2/2 Faculty meeting
Tuesday, 2/2 DATA day for 3rd AM, 4th PMWednesday 2/3 DATA day for Kinder AM, 5th PM
Wednesday, 2/3 Running Club (2:45-3:30pm)
Thursday 2/4 DATA day for 2nd grade AM, 1st grade PM
Thursday, 2/4 Jerseys, Jeans & Junk Food Super Bowl Celebration**DATE CHANGE**
Friday, 2/5 Wear RED day to support American Heart Association (this is a district wide event, so please plan to participate!)
Friday, 2/5 School supply feedback due to Liz; phone tree changes due to Kim
Monday, 2/8 Parent contact regarding RtI students is due
Wednesday, 2/10 Running Club; KC Club & Student Council (2:45-3:30pm)
Monday, 2/15 Professional Learning Day at GES (8-4); Skate Town event (GES fundraiser for 5th grade from 2:00-4:00pm)
Monday, 2/15 Behavior RtI information due in Eduphoria
Wednesday, 2/17 & Thursday, 2/18 11:45 dismissal; Student led conferences
Monday, 2/22 & Tuesday, 2/23 PLP meetings with Liz & Kim
Monday, 2/22-Friday, 2/26 GES Book Fair
Where We Will Be...
- Monday, 2/1 - Nancy at Liaison/coaches meeting; Gina off campus (7:45-9am)
Monday, 2/1 & Tuesday, 2/2 - Angela at TCA Conference
Wednesday, 2/3 Liz at Principal’s meeting; Gina at Principal meeting 1:00 PM
- Thursday, 2/4 - Johanna at Nurse’s meeting until 10; Heather off campus (1-3:30pm)
Monday Message to Parents
Disclaimer: It will be a work in progress until late Sunday night!!
Information from Kim Ray
RtI Parent Notification
Per district RtI policy, you need to contact parents to discuss student progress and explain what interventions are in place for their child before sending home the notification letter. Send home parent notification letter after having a phone conference, or face-to-face conference with parents. All parent contact must be made and letters sent home no later than Monday, February 8. Please see Kim if you have any questions or concerns.
Information from Angela Horn
Information from Erin Wahpekeche
Camp iCan 2016
Plans for the Language Academy are well underway but we need your help. We are hoping to have students pre-register on our two early release days in February. Having students pre-register really helps us determine staffing needs and activities we can offer. Flyers and pre-registration forms will be sent to your assistant principal the week of Feb. 1 - 5 and will need to be delivered to the teachers of your ESL and/or bilingual students. These students should have an LEP label in Eduphoria. (Students on the English side of Dual would not be eligible for this summer program unless they are ESL). Completed forms will need to be returned to your assistant principal and then sent to Cannon.
No money will be accepted at this time. A formal registration form will be sent home the first week of April to those students that pre-registered. That is when we will begin collecting the fees.
The cost is:
Pre-K and K: no charge
1st -5th that qualify for F/R: $25 non-refundable registration fee
1st - 5th: $180 + $25 non-refundable registration fee ***(This is for the full 6 weeks)
We will be located at Timberline Elementary June 6 - July 15 ( We will be closed Monday July 4) from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. The following link will take you to a video with more information! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjre6SZr9o&feature=youtu.be If you need have any questions, please contact Anne Ricci, Language Academy Principal, or Mia Magana, Language Academy Assistant Principal.
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder:http://bit.ly/1LqQ4sg
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP