Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
Over the edge
Mr. Rother, CHS Principal, raised $2,000 for Special Olympics and went “Over the Edge” on Saturday, rappelling 27 stories off of CityScape in Phoenix. Thanks to Mr. Rother and everyone who contributed to “Over the Edge.”
Congratulations to the CHS Wrestling Team for their outstanding performance at the Coyote Open this weekend. CHS won the tournament as a team and had 5 champions and 13 placers.
- Michael Reyes, Chance Ikei, Harold Colbert, Jordan Wilson, and Jason Holmes took 1st. Jason was also named the outstanding wrestler of the tournament.
- Matt Panepinto and Sam Pepper took 3rd.
- Braiden Solomon, Thomas Bigelow, and Rafael Garcia took 4th.
- Hayden Clifford, Michael Williams, and Cassius Williams all finished in the top 6.
Last week’s Spirit Week brought out flannels, festive socks, Santa hats and ugly sweaters. Additionally, students decorated doors, drank hot chocolate, frosted cookies at lunch, and had photos taken with Santa. Thanks to StuCo for planning a fun holiday-spirit filled week!
Wreath Decorating Contest
Nice work and thank you to all the clubs that participated in Student Council’s first wreath decorating contest. Clubs created themed wreaths that are hanging throughout the courtyard. Congratulations to the Native American Club, sponsored by Mrs. Kaitz and Mr. Parks, for their 1st place wreath!
last week's winning scores
- JV Girls Basketball def. Chaparral 45-41 and Highland 45-44
- Freshman Boys Basketball def. Chaparral 52-35 and Desert Ridge 62-19
- Varsity Boys Basketball def. Chaparral 81-72 and Desert Ridge 73-58
- Freshman Girls Basketball def. Casteel
- JV Boys Basketball def. Desert Ridge 51-49
this week's home events
- Monday, 12/14: Boys Soccer vs. Desert Ridge, JV @ 4 pm and Varsity @ 6 pm; Choir Concert @ 7 pm
- Tuesday 12/15: Boys Basketball vs. Mountain View (Mesa), Freshman @ 4 pm, JV @ 5:30 pm and Varsity @ 7pm; Girls Soccer vs. Queen Creek JV @ 4 pm, Varsity @ 6 pm; Band Concert @ 7 pm
- Friday, 12/18: Boys Soccer vs. Desert Vista, JV @ 4 pm and Varsity @ 6 pm
- Tuesday, 12/22: Girls Soccer vs. Red Mountain, JV @ 4 pm and Varsity @ 6 pm
Intermediate and Beginning Dance performed four great concerts last week. CHS’s talented dancers performed in front of thrilled CUSD kindergarteners for a day-time performance and then hosted three nightly sold-out performances in the CCA’s Bogle Theater. The dancers are under the direction of Mrs. Kathie Buren and Mrs. Marie South.
link crew cram sessions
Last Tuesday and Wednesday, CHS Link Crew hosted a Freshman Final Exam cram session. Students were given study guides to review and rotated around to different tables to review each class or subject. The freshmen were also treated to snacks and will also receive a final exam goodie bag on Tuesday for participating. Good luck on final exams this week!
Monday, December 14th and Tuesday, December 15th are review days. Students will follow the regular bell schedule for both days. 0 hour teachers will test on Thursday; students must be in class both days.
Wednesday, December 16th:
0 Hour - 6:30-7:20
1st Hour - 7:25-9:00
3rd Hour - 9:10-10:45
5th Hour - 10:55-12:30
Make up exams (prearranged) - 1:30-2:45
Thursday, December 17th:
0 Hour - 6:30-7:20
2nd Hour - 7:25-9:00
4th Hour - 9:10-10:45
6th Hour - 10:55-12:30
Make up exams (prearranged) - 1:30-2:45
Students will return to school on Tuesday, January 5th, to begin the second semester.
The Chandler High School IB Parent Booster Group will be sponsoring an ACT/SAT combo practice test on Saturday, January 9th from 8:00am-12 noon (check-in begins at 7:30am) at Chandler High School (Cafeteria). For students who are considering whether to take the SAT or the ACT, Kaplan has designed a unique combined sample test. (Taking both complete tests would take more than 7 hours.) Kaplan's combined sample test provides practice questions from each section of both tests, and will give students a taste of what to expect whether they decide to take the SAT, ACT, or both. The sample test is followed by answers, explanations, and a guide on how to score your answers to calculate a percentage on each section. The calculated scores are designed give you a general indication of your potential performance on each test, which may help you in your consideration of which test may be better suited to your strengths.
Cost: $10 per student
SIGN UP for the exam and PAY (cash or checks only) during lunch B at the IB table in the courtyard during the week of December 7.
Additionally, check out 15 Days to Final Exam Success for great tips and tools to help students start preparing for their finals on December 16th and 17th. Thanks to Mrs. Anne Bender for creating it!
study tips from the counseling department
With final exams right around the corner, many students feel overwhelmed with all they have going on. Anxiety can make it difficult to study and be productive; fortunately, there are many resources available to help students manage anxiety and stay productive.
One great strategy to overcome anxiety is to practice controlled breathing. It slows down the heart and helps you stay in control of your feelings. To learn how to practice controlled breathing, view the controlled breathing website.
For more general tips about dealing with anxiety, see the University College London's resource page. The site offers many tips and additional strategies to utilize to help prevent exam stress.
ALL-IN BOOSTER CLUB FUNDRAISER
The Chandler Schools Booster Clubs are sponsoring a 5K run or 1 mile walk “All-In” on January 24th at Perry High School. This family fun event will have a vendor fair, kids’ activity zone and a variety of food trucks.
COST: $20 students (until Jan. 4); $30 non-students (until Jan. 4)
Register today at raceroster.com search for “Chandler Schools.”
Vendor and sponsorship opportunities are also available. To become a vendor or sponsor view the vendor and sponsorship form.
YEARBOOK SENIOR ADS
Process for purchasing a Yearbook Senior Ad: For more information, visit the yearbook website.
- Payment for the Ad: Cash or a check written to Chandler High School Yearbook, paid to the bookstore.
- Give bookstore your envelope with student name, grade, email address, & ID number on it. In the envelope include Senior Ad Order Form which shows page option (⅛, ¼, ½, full).
- If you are NOT submitting through email, include Senior Ad form, photos & TYPED text in envelope. You are encouraged to send photos & text thru email address below.
- Count the photo spaces on the yearbook spread that you have chosen, and only send that many photos through the email. You may only be able to send 1 to 3 photos maximum for each email you send us. This is the preferred way of sending photos & text to us. Pictures will NOT be returned! If you do not have email, you can submit photos on a CD put it in an envelope and then give to Bookstore.
Also, text must be typed and sent to the email address below. If you have no access to a computer, the information will be available at the school bookstore.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Help support extra-curricular activities and extended learning beyond the regular school day by making a tax credit donation to Chandler High School. The state of Arizona allows taxpayers to receive a tax credit of up to $200 ($400 if married and filing jointly) when you make a tax credit donation to our school. Yes, taxpayers receive a dollar-for-dollar credit towards their state tax return. Tutoring, student clubs and field trips are just a few of the enrichment programs that are supported through tax credit donations. Click here for more info, and please name Chandler High School as the recipient of your donation. Thank you for your support!
Help CHS win money by shopping at Chandler Fashion Center and The Boulevard Shops for the holidays!
• Take a photo with Santa and submit your receipt in January to earn double points plus 1,000 bonus points. Visit the link for hours, pricing and a special offer.
• Adopt an angel from the Salvation Army Trees located on the lower level in the
Sears Court. Get a receipt for your donation and bring to Guest Services by January 31 to receive 1,000 points per angel.
career center news
- Cappex.com: A network that connects you with different colleges and many scholarships.
- CollegeNET.com: A social network in which participating students are eligible every week to win a scholarship of approximately $300, AND a quarterly scholarship of up to $20,000
- CollegeProwler.com: A network that will tie your information with colleges of interest and many scholarships worth millions.
- FastWeb.com: A searchable database of millions of scholarships worth billions of dollars.
- FinAid.org: This award-winning site includes a comprehensive database of scholarships, student financial aid information, advice and tools.
- Secrets To Winning a Scholarship: From the publisher of FinAid.org and FastWeb.com, a presentation on how to find and win scholarships. Also visit this website to purchase a copy of his book.
- Scholarships.com: Browse through 2.7 million free scholarships and grants worth more than $19 billion.
- Scholarshipdetective.com: A popular website that will act as a search engine for millions of scholarships.
- StudentScholarships.org: Provided a comprehensive database of scholarships for students all year around.
- Zinch.com: This site will match you to $1.9 billion in scholarships and financial aid