St. Luke's - Loire Catholic Church
History and community facts
The 3rd St. Luke's - Loire Church 1901-1969
The first three St. Luke's Churches
St. Luke's - Loire Catholic Church was built in 1878 and was on Leander Hayden's property near the St. Luke's Cemetery. The priest came from San Antonio once a month to conduct mass. Prior to the building of the church a priest would hold services in parishioner's homes.
St. Luke's Cemetery was started in 1869 with the death of Dr. Joseph Hayden, one of the earliest settlers in this area. Other early families on the 1860's were the Hills, Haydens, Palmers, Wrights, and Matulas.
In 1886 a storm destroyed the church and the 2nd St. Luke's Church was built on Basil Hayden's property also near the current cemetery. At this time a school was built next to the church.
In 1901, the 3rd St. Luke's Church was built on FM 536 and its intersection with the current cemetery road. A rectory was added in 1902. This church building was used until July 13, 1969.
St. Luke's had a school with about 30 students in 1894 according to a January 22, 1894 article from the Floresville Chronicle. Mrs. Alice Swift was the teacher at that time. In 1917, a two story St. Luke's School was built. (Information from the "Verdi" book)
Loire community name
Benedictine Sisters in Las Gallinas in 1918 - early 1920's
The 4th St. Luke's - Loire Church: Built in 1969
The current church hall was added in the early 70's. The St. Luke's parish held a monthly dance at the hall for several years in order to fund the improvements at the new location just off IH37. Some of the bands that performed at Loire Hall were The Abbey, Wheat Straw, The Taylor Brothers, Leonard Rodriguez, and many others. The parish also had an annual St. Luke's Picnic with one or two dances, a BBQ meal, Bingo, and an auction.
A mobile home, located behind the church was originally set up for the priest to live in. In the early 1980's the current rectory was built and the mobile home was removed. (Information from the "Verdi" book and St. Luke's Church dedication)