Romanian Revolution (1989)
By: James May
Why where the people protesting?
- Romania began to develop its own foreign policy while maintaining a rigid communist system at home.
- The policy’s continued for 24 years by Nicolae Ceauşescu.
- He vowed never to relinquish his power of dictatorship.
- Ceausescu had eliminated all opposition and become a dictator.
- They were also struggling with economy included corruption in the communist party and overreliance on central from western European banks to finances its its industrial build-up.
During the protest.
- During the protest thousands of people in the city of Timişoara staged demonstrations and attacked the security guards.
- The government security guard forces responded to the protest by firing at people and killing hundreds.
- The protesting started to spread into other city's.
After the protesting.
- The protesting stopped when the National Salvation Front, led by Lon Lliescu took control of the country in the days immediately after after Ceausescu's execution.