June 3rd- June 7th
Tuesday, June 4th
- June/July Birthday lunch
Wednesday, June 5th
- 4th Grade Farewell lunch
Thursday, June 6th
- Field Day! (tug-o-war at 2:30)
- Nora Night! 6:00pm
Thursday, June 13th
- Last Day of School for Kindergarten students
Friday, June 14th
- Last Day of School, 11:55am dismissal
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3p-5p
*2019-2020 SAVE THE DATE*
Sunday, September 22nd
- Harper Hoedown (Raindate: Sunday, September 29th)
Dr. Kick's Corner
-Transition update-Mr. Dubnow and I continue to meet on a regular basis. He is learning everything about Harper, including the daily routines/details, placement process, scheduling, lunch/recess routines, drop-off/pick-up, students, staff, PTO structure, and a lot more nitty-gritty details. He's all set to hire for the few maternity openings that we will have. He's been a part of many of the construction meetings, so has a grasp on the details of the project.
-Bike reminders-please make sure your child locks his/her bike at school. Also, your child should be wearing a helmet and walking his/her bike on the sidewalk in front of the school.
Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund
- A Farewell Retirement Tribute – “The Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund” – This PTO scholarship fund has been created as a retirement tribute to Dr Kick and her love of the Outdoor Ed Trips. The scholarship fund will offer financial assistance towards the Outdoor Ed tuition for Harper families for this year and future OE Trips. A portion of the proceeds from this years Movie Night (Peter Rabbit) will go directly to Dr Kick’s OE Scholarship fund. An online donation form is provided for any families wishing to donate. Please go to the PTO Website for more information and to donate directly to this wonderful tribute and cause. www.harperpto.com
Dr. Kick Retirement Ice Cream Celebration!
- Please join us for an ice cream social celebration for Dr. Kick on Tuesday, June 4th in the Harper Garden/playground area from 3:20 - 4:30.
- Dr Kick’s retirement note basket: A collection basket is located in the front lobby for dropping off any farewell notes, pictures, gifts or retirement messages to Dr. Kick. These messages will be presented to Dr Kick on June 4th at the Ice Cream social.
Attention 1st grade Parents of Potential Girl Scouts!
- Interested in Girl Scouts? A rising 2nd grade Brownie troop is forming for the next school year! This troop will meet once per month on Fridays and is looking for girls interested in developing relationships, having fun learning new skills, doing projects that help the community and exploring nature and the outdoors. The troop will be led by Beth Karnes and Grace Poe and is limited to 12 girls unless another committed adult leader is available. We will gather interest through Friday, June 7th and if interest is above the limit, we will have a lottery. If interested, please email Beth at Beth.email@example.com.
- Did you miss out on ordering a school kit for the 2019/2020 school year? If so there’s still a chance to secure a kit and save yourself the hassle of school supply shopping this summer. You can purchase a supply kit through EduKit, however, it will be shipped directly to your home vs. the school. Also, a $20shipping and special handling fee will be added to the cost of the supplies. To purchase a kit visit www.EduKitInc.com, click on “Find My School” and enter "Harper" to find the options available.
A message from the PTO Treasurer
- Attention all PTO committee members - Please submit any outstanding expenses for the school year ASAP. You will need a signed expense voucher and a receipt. Place all completed expense vouchers in the Treasurer Folder in the front lobby. If you have any questions, contact Annie O'Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Harper Happenings First Edition 2019-2020
- Do you have an announcement for the first edition of the Harper Happenings for the 2019-2020 school year? If so, please submit a communication request by August 19th.
Destination Imagination (DI)
- Are you curious about DI? Come to an informational presentation to find out what Destination Imagination (DI) is all about!
- DI is a team-based creative problem solving program for kids grades K-12. This year, 13 Harper teams competed in the DI tournament here in Wilmette.
- There are several identical, 1-hr info presentations to choose from:
- 6/4, 7pm -McKenzie
- 6/7, 9am - Central
- 6/11, 3:45 - 4:45 - Harper
- RSVP: HERE
Community Service Corner & News
- The Wilmette Police Department wants to share with D39 families the opportunity to register for Smart911, which allows you to create a safety profile that will provide important information to first responders in an emergency. Smart911 is a free opt-in service, and you can provide as much or as little information as you would like. When anyone in your household dials 911 from a landline or cell phone connected to your safety profile, all the information is immediately displayed to the emergency dispatcher. Download the Smart911 App on the Apple Store or Google Play or Click Here to register for Smart911 online. You can also check out this video for more information! Smart911 is now also the Village’s emergency notification system, replacing CodeRed. When you register, you can select to receive alerts via text, email, or voice. Learn more at https://www.wilmette.com/police-department/
The Center for the Gifted offers summer programs for Pre-K through 12 grades.
Wilmette Baseball Association has opened Summer League Registration for students in Kindergarten - 3 grades.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Summer Scavenger Hunt June 17 - August 4th.
Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org