modern day innovator
Who is Andrew Sutherland?
At 24 years old, Andrew Sutherland is the founder of Quizlet, an online study tool designed to help students with memorizing vocabulary. Andrew created Quizlet when he was a sophomore in High school (2005) to help him study for a french quiz, after he aced the quiz his friends wanted to use the tool too, and Quizlet continued to expand from there. Andrew currently works on all aspects of the program and leads the engineering team. After High school, Andrew studied computer science at MIT for three years before leaving to pursue Quizlet full time.
What is Quizlet?
Quizlet is a free website that provides learning tools such as flash cards and games to help students prepare for assessments in an easy fashion.
How to use Quizlet
Quizlet is a very easy program to use with minimal steps to getting started:
- The first step to creating a Quizlet is signing up for free and creating your personal account
- The next step is developing your own study set with terms and definitions. To do this you can click on Create New Study Set and start filling in the flash cards
- Next you can begin learning by playing games such as Scatter or Space Race, or by using one of the other features such as speller, learn, test, or flash cards
Benefits of Using Quizlet
- One benefit of using Quizlet is the audio feature, which allows you to listen to the terms and definitions if you’re more of an auditory learner. And for a small fee you can upload your own voice recordings
- For that same small fee you can add pictures to your definitions if you’re more of a visual learner
- If you don't want to create your own, you can browse through the approximately 16 million flash card sets created by other users
- You can share the Quizlets you make with friends
- Quizlet is also available as a mobile app for learning on the go
- Quizlet Live is a new feature that allows teachers to incorporate Quizlet study sets in their classroom
- "Quizlet Live is an in-class, team-based learning game based on any Quizlet study set. Students are randomly paired into teams of 3-4 students to race against other teams. Each team must work together to clear their board, and the first team to do so wins."
- Quizlet Live is an important new development because it allows teachers an easy way to integrate studying in their classroom in a way kids will find engaging and informative. Quizlet Live is a good example of how Quizlet is growing and expanding as a company and moving on to achieve greater things.
Introducing Quizlet Live
Modern Day Innovator
Andrew Sutherland is a modern day innovator because he has created a new way to help students learn and memorize vocabulary at more efficient rates. This is important because by creating an easier way to study, kids are more likely to do so, and therefor will do better in school. Andrew is always working to improve Quizlet, and wants to be able to reach out to all students in the world and give them a way to study and do better in school. He also wants to work on helping with long term learning, instead of students just cramming it all in the night before and forgetting the material a week later. The Quizlet team visits real classrooms on a monthly basis, so they can gain new ideas and make changes so Quizlets even better.
- Quizlet was named one of the top five apps for college students by The Daily Collegian
- Andrew Sutherland is one of Forbes 30 under 30 in education for the second year in a row
- Quizlet receives around 40 million users each month
- Quizlet is used by 25% of all U.S. high school students every month
- 1 in 4 high school students use Quizlet daily
- there are more than 125 million user-generated study sets on Quizlet