Summer Edition: C.H.S. Chronicles
Show that "Smart Style" by staying informed!
STEM camp available at Oakland Schools
Check out the flyer below about a great STEM camp available through Oakland Schools.
Don't forget about Think-a-Palooza to avoid the "Summer Academic Slide"!
Visit the Think-a-Palooza website to prevent the summer slide and for more information!
Visit the the Walled Lake Schools Summer Academic webpage
Summer math and language arts practice with iReady
i-Ready Instruction: i-Ready provides students digital instruction that meets them where they are–at their level. It allows them to work independently on their own personalized online instruction plan, in lessons that are assigned based on the results from the i-Ready Diagnostic test.
The lessons include three parts, consisting of a tutorial, guided practice, and a graded activity. This exciting format and engaging content draws students in right away. Students get supportive, real-time feedback on their progress in each skill; they see motivating messages and earn credits after completing lessons, which builds their investment in learning
Students are encouraged to practice their math skills over the summer. One great way to do this is to log in to i-Ready using the students' credentials. Once a student logs into their i-ready, they will be given lessons designed around the diagnostic test they took at school. It will start them at the level they are at with lessons and assessments along the way. This program is designed to help fill any gaps in concepts they may have.
iReady login link:
Students login with the same ID and password as their Walled Lake network login ID and password.
iReady student support link:
iReady parent information link:
This guide provides instructions on how to use i-Ready during the summer.
Smart Start is August 20th
On this day you will be able to do the following:
- Pay any past due fines
- Pick up your child's schedule and books
- Get your child's locker assignment and combination
- Pick up/ order Smart Spirit wear (see more information below)
- Sign up for Smart PTSA
- Get information on Smart sports and and other school activities
Parents must complete the Skyward Family Access Back to School packet ONLINE prior to Smart Start. Visit the Skyward Back to School website anytime after August 1st to complete the process.
Grade level supply lists for 2019-2020
Smart Middle School will provide students with all the supplies they need to be successful. However, many students enjoy bringing their own supplies.
Please see below for a link to the supply list for ALL Smart Middle School students for the upcoming school year.
This is a suggested supply list for all students.
As this is the list to start the year, other general supplies may be requested (but not required) by our teachers at the beginning of, and throughout the school year.
Visit the GENERAL SCHOOL SUPPLY LIST FOR ALL CHS STUDENTS page.
Smart Spirit wear for the 2019-20 school year
Check out the logo, down load the order form, and bring your order forms and money to turn in at Smart Start on August 20th.
Any orders turned in at Smart Start will be delivered to school for pick up in late September. Show your "Smart Style" and get your spirit wear for 2019-20!
Fall Sports at Smart
- All fall sports (with exception of football on August 26th) start on August 27th . Fall sports are only for 7th and 8th grade students. Please contact the coaches for more information from our Smart Athletics website.
- All students must have an MHSAA physical on file prior to practicing or trying out with any team. Download the official MHSAA physical form to take to your child's doctor. Physicals must be dated after April 15th form the previous school year to be valid for the upcoming year.
- CHS fall sports (football, girls volleyball, boys soccer, boys/girls cross country. sideline cheerleading) all require a pay to participate fee of $200. This fee covers all sports for the entire year. Pay to participate fees must be paid online or in the Smart office prior to the first game.
.Football begins August 26 th at Smart. Go the Trojan Football webpage for contact and practice information.
Boys socccer try outs begin August 27th.
Try outs will be after school. More information will be available at Smart Start
Girls Volleball try outs begin August 27th:
Try outs will continue on August 28th and 29th after school. More information will be available at Smart Start. Contact coach Cathy Johnson, @email@example.com for more information.
Boys and girls cross country begins August 27th:
Practice starts today after school. More information will be available at Smart Start. Please contact coach Alex Rickens at mailto:AlexRickens@wlcsd.orgfor more information.
Information will be available at Smart Start. Please contact coach Sue Colaianni at SusanColaianni@wlcsd.org
Smart Football will start mid August, Stay tunned for more info!
AUGUST 20, 2020 : Smart Start @ Smart. Come anytime from 8 am to 4 pm. This is the time to get class schedules, school pictures, tour the school, get textbooks and set up your locker. Please be sure to have your online Family Access Packet completed prior to coming to Smart Start. Visit the Skyward Family Access website for more information on the Family Access Back to School packet.
- Teachers report all day today!
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!: This will be a full day of school in Walled Lake! Smart starts at 8:10!! All students will be greeted by a teacher on their bus.
- 7th and 8th grade will go to their lockers and report to their first class.
- 6th graders will be greeted and will report to the cafeteria, before going to their first class.
- FIRST DAY FOR SMART ATHLETICS: All sports (with the exception of football) start after school today. All students must have an MHSAA physical on file prior to practicing with any team. Download the official MHSAA physical form to take to your child's doctor. Please contact the coaches for more information from our Smart Athletics website.
- See below for specific sport information.
August 30th -September 2nd
- No School for staff or students: Labor Day weekend
- School Resumes!
for the rest of the year!
Join Smart P.T.S.A.
Join the Clifford Smart PTSA!
The Clifford Smart PTSA is involved and active. We purchase items and sponsor many wonderful projects each year for our students and staff. From the Gap Achievement Program to the Reflections contest and other events in between, we could not provide all of the opportunities or accomplish all of our goals without the generous contributions of time and money from our parent community. Last year, the raised funds were used to completely refinish the floor in the gymnasium – check it out! Please join! You can be involved as much or as little as you want – the choice is yours! Please complete the attached form (CHS PTSA Membership Form 2016-2017) and bring it with you to Smart Start! Please contact Sarah Klein, Smart PTSA membership coordinator at Klein@valassis.com with any questions.