Severson's Reading Tips
What in the World did I just Read???
Fix Up Strategies That Work!
1. Go back and re-read. If you weren't paying attention, this may be the answer.
2. Read one sentence at a time. Ask yourself, "what did that mean"?
3. Visualize what you are reading; make a picture in your head of what you read about.
4. What backround knowledge do I have about this topic? How can I connect what I am reading to what I already know?
5. Are there words I'm unsure of? Can I figure out meaning without asking someone or use of a dictionary? Can I break the word apart?
6. Am I thinking about what I am reading?
7. Am I predicting what will happen next? Am I wondering about things?