Determining Main Idea in Nonfiction Texts
STAAR 7th Grade Reading Blueprint
What do I need to do for a Level III?
Main Idea/Summarizing Standards:
- Evaluate a summary of the original text for accuracy of the main ideas, supporting details, and overall meaning.
- Use different organizational patterns as guides for summarizing and forming an overview of different kinds of expository text.
- Synthesize and make logical connections between ideas within a text and across two or three texts representing similar or different genres, and support those findings with textual evidence.
What does it look like on a test?
Strategies for Summarizing:
- Read the entire text closely
- Annotate recurring ideas throughout
- What jumps out at me?
- Use nonlinguistic representations to illustrate the article
- Main Idea, Important Details, Restate Main Idea
- Groups of 5 will be given an article that has been disassembled.
- Each group will reassemble to article in a sensible way.
- Groups will then sketch the main idea of the article and write a summary.
- Can we tell the main idea from your sketch?