You Outta Be in Pictures
Digital Art Projects to Inspire Creativity in the Classroom
Goals for Today's Session
- Discuss the importance of art and technology in education.
- Introduce the basics of Pixlr Editor.
- Create digital art using Pixlr Editor.
Why Teach Art?
- Data supports the belief that study and participation in the fine arts is a key component in improving learning throughout all academic areas.
- Evidence suggests participation in fine arts reduces student dropout, raises student attendance, develops better team players, fosters a love for learning, enhances student creativity, and produces a more prepared citizen for the workplaces of tomorrow.
- The fine arts also provide learners with non-academic benefits such as promoting self-esteem, motivation, aesthetic awareness, cultural exposure, creativity, improved emotional expression, as well as social harmony and appreciation of diversity.
Today's Project: Where Would You Rather Be?
- Find 2 background images from a place that you would rather be. (ideas- beach, foreign country, sporting event, on the arm of your favorite celebrity, etc. )
- Grab a partner and have them use a digital camera to take 2 photos of you, each with a different pose. Try to take your photo in an area with a solid color background (this will make editing much easier).
- Go to http://pixlr.com/editor/ and click open image from computer.
- Open your first background photo.
- Click on the layer menu at the top of the page and choose open image as new layer then upload the photo of yourself.
- Use the magic wand and eraser tools to begin clearing the background of your selfie.
- After you finish removing all of the background, choose Edit (whenever you click off the image a prompt will appear asking you to save changes, click yes ONLY if you are finished), then Free Transform.
- Resize and move the image until it realistically appears as part of the background image.
- Choose File then Save when finished. Note- Once you save it, it can no longer be edited as separate layers.
- Follow the above steps to create your second image.
DIGITAL ART PROJECT RESOURCES
Digital Painting Tutorial
Pixlr - Manimal Project