Professional Development Update
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES - Summer 2017
Office of Curriculum, Instruction, and Professional Development
This August, we are working with teachers and administrators during a three-day Writing Institute, TEACCH training, APPR workshops, and we are looking forward to welcoming our own staff at New Staff Orientation.
In the midst of it all, we are getting ready for the official opening of our Professional Development Center, which will enable us to better meet the needs of our districts. We hope you will join us at one or more of the top-notch offerings that we have in store for you. Check them out below, and get your registrations in soon!
Unpacking Fountas and Pinnell's Leveled Literacy Intervention Systems
Participants will explore the organization of the LLI systems and how to effectively use the systems to teach 30 minute lessons to small groups of learners with similar needs. The features of Leveled Literacy Intervention include:
• Fast-paced lessons that include explicit instruction in phonemic awareness/phonics, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension
• Daily lesson plans using a prescribed sequence of texts
• Instructional interactions between teachers and students with a low student-teacher ratio
• Emphasis on comprehension of fiction and nonfiction texts with time engaged in reading continuous texts, word study and writing
• Continuum of Literacy Learning to guide the series of lessons (LLI Kits are not provided as part of this training.)
Register by clicking the links below:
Orange, Green, and Blue Systems: September 12-13 and November 14, 2017
Assessments & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
Tuesday, Oct. 3rd, 8:30am-3:30pm
3599 Big Ridge Road
School Executive Leadership Program 2017-2018
Embedding Formative Assessment with Teacher Learning Communities -- Dr. Dylan Wiliam
Wednesday, Nov. 15th, 8:30am-3pm
3599 Big Ridge Road
•Why we need to increase educational achievement, what's been tried, and why it hasn't worked;
•Why formative assessment needs to be the priority for every school;
•What formative assessment is (and isn't);
•Practical techniques for implementing formative assessment; and
•How to sustain the development of formative assessment with teacher learning communities.
These forums meet 4 times per year. Click below for more information or to register.
Office of Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development
Laurie Streb, Administrative Support Specialist
Stephanie Smyka, Coordinator
Sam Schell, Administrative Support Specialist