"Because last year's drought prevented some parched fields from absorbing fertilizers, an extra load of nutrients is flowing into Midwest waterways and will end up in the Gulf of Mexico. Once there, the chemicals can threaten aquatic life, says Bob Lerch, a USDA soil scientist." This is very bad for marine life because the chemicals are designed to only help crops grow, but since they are chemicals, they are very harmful towards living organisms, mostly ones that live in the Gulf of Mexico in this case.
"Drug manufacturing also results in some pharmaceutical pollution, although some factories are bigger problem than others" Some factories can also pollute rivers, which harms the life in the waterways because of the chemicals that factories use.
Depending on Water
"People depend on clean water for drinking water and recreation like swimming, boating and fishing. Aquatic life, such as fish, depend on clean water to survive" If the water that all life depends on is polluted, it is difficult to find another clean water source. This would result in a decrease in the number of fish in these polluted waterways.
"Don't pour household products such as cleansers, beauty products, medicines, auto fluids, paint, and lawn care products down the drain. Take them to a hazardous waste collection site." Following this will result in better health for aquatic life that lives in rivers and lakes that these chemicals get into.
- "Drugs in the Water - Harvard Health." Harvard Health. N.p., 21 June 2011. Web. 16 Apr. 2015.
- Swanson, Abbie F. "What Is Farm Runoff Doing To The Water? Scientists Wade In." NPR. NPR, 5 July 2013. Web. 16 Apr. 2015.
- "Water Pollution: MedlinePlus." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2015.
- "Watershed Pollution." Watershed Pollution. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2015.
- "ICLIPART for Schools - Downloadable Royalty-free Clipart Images, Photos, Web Graphics, Animations, Sounds and Fonts by Subscription." ICLIPART for Schools - Downloadable Royalty-free Clipart Images, Photos, Web Graphics, Animations, Sounds and Fonts by Subscription. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.