August 29, 2022
Dear Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion families,
I hope everyone is well and enjoying being back at school. We will be going over our expectations with parents for the school year at our annual Back to School Night next Wednesday, September 7th from 6:00-7:30pm in person this year. Please make transportation arrangements for the PM Pick Up as that will be a special Early Dismissal Day(1:25pm). For Back to School Night, the Parents/Guardians should report directly to the teacher's classrooms at 6:00PM(we prefer that you do not bring your children if at all possible). Pati and I will be doing a short Introduction/Welcoming via Zoom that the teachers will show on the TV Monitors to parents in the classroom. The teachers will then present their Back To School expectations where they will explain important aspects of what and how they will be teaching and how you can help your child succeed. A reminder to parents that Back to School Night is not a time for individual parent teacher conferences about specific needs for your child, but rather an overview of curricula, homework, rules and expectations for the year. If you have more specific questions about how to help your child, please email your teacher(s).
CAASPP 2021-22 Results for Current 4th and 5th grade Students
The following state test student score reports for the 2021-22 school year will be available for you to view on September 9th through the PowerSchool Parent Portal
California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP)
For students who completed tests in grades 3-8:
SBAC (Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) - English Language Arts and Math
CAA (California Alternate Assessment) - English Language Arts and Math
For students who completed tests in grades 5 and 8:
CAST (California Science Test)
Reports for the CAA (California Alternate Assessment) for Science will be released in Fall 2022
Here is a link to resources that can help families understand CASPP scores and reports :https://ca.startingsmarter.org/.
Creating A PowerSchool Parent Portal Account
In order to access the Parent Portal, parents will need to create an account using specific access codes and passwords. We will be sending these home to all of our 4th and 5th grade families next Thursday, September 8th. They will use this information to create their account so they will be able to access the CASPP scores.
Additional information is available here:
School Play/Musical "The Music Man Kids" Sign Up Information:
Adelante-Selby families, the school Play/Musical The Music Man Kids Registration is now open. We will continue our wonderful partnership with San Carlos Children's Theater for this production. Third through Fifth Graders will make up the Main Cast while Kindergarten through 2nd graders will participate in the Ensemble.
Please note registration closes on Sept. 13th. Rehearsals begin on September 14th.
Music Man Kids Synopsis: "There’s trouble in River City when a fast-talking salesman gets his heart stolen by the town librarian in this adaptation of the Tony Award-winning Broadway classic. Master showman Harold Hill is in town and he’s got “seventy-six trombones” in tow. Can upright, uptight Marian, the town librarian, resist his powerful allure? The story follows fast-talking traveling salesman, Harold Hill, as he cons the people of River City, Iowa, into buying instruments and uniforms for a boys’ band he vows to organize. The catch? He doesn’t know a trombone from a treble clef. His plans to skip town with the cash are foiled when he falls for Marian, whose belief in Harold’s power just might help him succeed in the end in spite of himself."
Preguntas//Questions: Contact Maestra Nell Douglas: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEAM LAB After School Club--Message From Maestro David
FROM THE STEAM LAB
Announcing a new after school club: The Steam Club!!
What: We are an after school club that will be focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics projects
When: We will be meeting after school from 2:30-3:30 PM on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the First Trimester
Who: The club is open to 2nd-5th grade students
Tuesday will be 4th and 5th grade
Wednesday will be 2nd and 3rd grade
Why: The STEAM CLUB is created for students who want to make, program, and invent. We will be be using the engineering process to solve problems, build many projects and explore the exciting world of STEAM Learning!
How: Click the link below to sign up via Google Form
iSing 3rd-5th grade Girls After School Choir
iSing will provide opportunities for 3rd-5th grade girls to sing in a choir on Mondays after school from 2:30-3:30pm in Room 301 starting September 12th. If you are interested, sign up using this link: iSing Choir Application
Familias Unidas Parent Workshops
Do you want your children to be successful in reading, math, and science this school year? Do you dream of your children graduating from college? You have the opportunity to learn how to help your children achieve academic success and join a community of lifelong learners. Registration for Familias Unidas, a free virtual parent engagement workshop in Spanish, is now open! If you have any questions, please call Mr. Zuno, 650-665-0122. Fill out the Google Form with this LINK
Child Nutrition Services: August Breakfast and Lunch Menus
A healthy body fosters a healthy and focused mind. Well-rounded meals served in RCSD school cafeterias are created using USDA nutrition guidelines as well as “kid-approved” recipes. Whole grains, milk, fresh produce, protein, and healthy fats containing Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are the stars of the breakfast and lunch menu items. Studies show that good eating habits and healthy behaviors are connected to academic achievement. Meals provided by Child Nutrition Services help to shape lifelong healthy habits. All students have the opportunity to eat breakfast and lunch for free again this year through our Child Nutrition Services.
Here are the menus for August(you can use the same links for the September Menu which is not available yet):
Parents/caregivers, educators, mental health professionals, and community members welcome! Free admission. Simultaneous Spanish interpretation will be available.
Fire Safety and Prevention: A Disaster Prep Town Hall
Fire Marshal Gareth Harris, Redwood City Fire Department
Thursday, September 1, 2022, 6:00pm – 7:00pm PT, Online Event (Meeting)
In this Town Hall meeting, Fire Marshall Gareth Harris will address fire safety and prevention tips for your home and family. He will also discuss home hardening and defensible space, the buffer zone between a building on your property and the grass, trees, shrubs, or any wildland area.
Design for Belonging: How to Build Inclusion and Collaboration in Your Communities
Susie Wise, PhD, Designer + Educator, Stanford d.school
Thursday, September 8, 2022, 5:30pm – 6:30pm PT, Online Event (Meeting)
Belonging brings out the best in everyone. Whether you’re a parent, teacher, or community organizer, your group is unlikely to thrive if the individuals don’t feel welcomed, included, and valued for who they are. In her new book, Design for Belonging, Susie Wise, PhD, Stanford d.school, outlines how you can use design to create feelings of inclusion.
Lost and Found
We already have an overflowing Lost and Found large wooden box by the office. Please stop by and claim any lost item: sweaters, sweatshirts, lunch boxes, and water bottles. Parents another reminder that it is very helpful to label/put your child's name on your child's lunch box, water bottle, and sweaters/jackets as students sometimes forget and leave them outside.
Important School Information 2022/23:
- 2022-23 COVID Protocols in School: Masks are highly recommended indoors, but not required. Students should test at home (with the district provided at-home Covid test you received at MAZE day)on Tuesday, August 16 prior to the first day of school.
- School Calendar : Please schedule family vacations around our school vacations.
- Bell Schedule : Please review so your child is dropped off and picked up on time.
- Dress Code : Please review and try your best to have your child follow our dress code daily. Shirts can be white, black, navy blue, gold/yellow; Pants/Shorts/Skirts/Dresses can be black, khaki/ beige, or navy blue--No BLUE JEANS please; Sweaters/sweatshirts: solid white, black, navy blue, gold/yellow, grey. School spirit shirts can be worn any day!
- Drop Off and Pick Up Procedures: Please be patient driving during Drop Off/Pick Up. TK-2 grade will drop off/pick up in the front lot by the office; 3rd-5th grade will Drop Off/Pick up using the Drive Through by the Library; 5th grade may also Drop Off in the AM at Himmel Parking Lot. Parents may also park outside(not in neighbors driveways please) and walk their child(ren) to the line up area, but may not go into the classrooms.
- Classroom Suggested Supplies Lists 2022/23. Director Warren needs(would REALLY like PLEASE) hand sanitizer for Lunch time--last year the students particularly liked the Cucumber/Aloe scented kind from 365 Whole Foods!
- Student Absence Reporting Form: Please use this in lieu of calling the office.
2022-23 COVID Protocols in Our School
This new school year, we will continue to follow several precautionary measures in order for all of us to stay safe while we learn together. The Redwood City School District (RCSD) is following recommendations from the San Mateo County Office of Education’s (SMCOE) COVID-19 Safe Schools Framework, which was developed for 202-223 in consultation with San Mateo County Health (SMCH), reflecting guidance for schools and districts including from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). You can find our District’s 2022-23 protocols on the RCSD website here.
Highlights from the District Protocols:
- Masking is strongly recommended for both students and staff indoors, but not required.
- Weekly Covid testing for students and staff is no longer offered at our school.
- Use this LINK to report if your child(ren) tests positive
- There will be school wide general notification of positive case(s) via email/text message.
- We are no longer requiring Wellness Checks for students.
- Parent Volunteers are not allowed to volunteer in classrooms for the first month of school.
You can expect to receive additional information about our District’s protocols throughout the school year.
Our school office is now open and the office hours are 8:00-4:00pm. Entering the office, all visitors it is highly recommended that you:
- wear a mask
- use hand disinfectant when entering the office
Important September Dates
- Monday, September 5: No School; Labor Day Holiday
- Tuesday, September 6: Unidos PT0 Parent Meeting, 6:00-8:00PM: Library
- Wednesday, September 7: Early Dismissal Day at 1:25PM as it is for Back to School Night 6:00-7:30PM Parents visit Teachers Classrooms
- Thursday, September 8: Food Distribution-- 2:45-4:00pm: FREE quality food All WELCOME!
- Monday, September 12: English Language Advisory Parent Meeting(ELAC) 8:45 AM: Amphitheater(Meeting conducted in Spanish)
- Friday, September 16: "123 Andrés" Assemblies
- Wednesday, September 21: School Site Council Meeting, 3:00pm
- Thursday, September 22: Food Distribution-- 2:45-4:00pm: FREE quality food All WELCOME!
- Friday, September 30: Principal's Coffee: 8:30AM, Library/Amphitheater Area