The crime scene and physical evidence
The role of the FBI and CSI
Careers in Forensic Science
Anthropologist: Studies bones
Entomologist: Studies insects and their relations to the crime scene
Psychiatrist: Studies human behavior and why people commit crimes
Odontologist: Studies teeth and bite marks and their relations to crime scenes
Engineer: Performs failure analysis and accident reconstruction
What forensic science actually is
1. In the shows, the evidence analysis takes minutes, but in real life, they can take hours to complete.
2. The crimes in the shows are solved in an hour, but in reality, cases can take up to a year to solve.
3. Real CSI members only perform analysis and evidence collection; they don't make arrests or perform interrogations.
4. The CSI in the shows only solve complex murders, but in real life most of the cases are accidental or natural deaths.
2. In some cases involving sex crimes, the criminals have been caught by the police who tracked what pornographic sites they visited around the time of the murder.
3. A forensic psychologist predicted that the "Mad Bomber of New York" would be clean shaven, be living with an older relative, and would be wearing a buttoned up suit when arrested. He was right.