The Townshend Acts
Summary of the Act
- Issued by the Parliament of Great Britain
- Named after Charles Townshend, who proposed the programme.
- 5 main laws mentioned such as:
- The Revenue Act of 1767
- The Indemnity Act
- The Commissioners of Customs Act
- The Vice Admiralty Court Act
- The New York Restraining Act
- Purpose of Act was to raise revenue and pay governors and judges within colonies.
- Also to enforce compliance in trade regulations and punish NY for not complying with the 1765 Quartering Act.
- Established the precedent that the British had the right to tax.
- A series of 12 essays by John Dickinson entitled "Letters from a Farmer in PA"
- There was no difference between "internal" and "external" taxes.
- The taxing of colonies was unconstitutional.
- Promoted the Boston Massacre of 1770.