JBD Family Newsletter
September 27, 2020
Welcome to our K-2 Children on Sept. 29!
We are so looking forward to seeing our youngest Option 1 learners on Tuesday. John B. Dey is ready to go with our social distancing mitigations and transportation plan. Please read the transportation guidelines below carefully and take a few minutes to view my video for more information and pictures of JBD.
It's exciting to have another 'first day of school' and the teachers cannot wait to see their students.
Please don't hesitation to call or send me an email if you have any questions or concerns.
JOHN B. DEY SCHOOL HOURS STARTING TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29: 8:20AM TO 2:50PM
JBD 2020-2021 Transportation
Please remember that the first couple of weeks will be a slower process as we get into routines and continue to practice social distancing measures.
Daily Drop-Of and Pick-Up (PPU) – You will be drop-off and pick-up EVERY DAY
If you have indicated that you are going to be a daily Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up, you received a correspondence from the school with directions. If you plan to be a Daily Drop-Off/Pick-Up, and did not receive something, please email Mrs. Markert, at email@example.com for access to the Google Form and additional information for sign-up.
Daily Drop-Off / One-Time Drop-Off (Morning)
Please pull into the car line at the front of the building. You will need to pull all the way down to the Great Neck MS parking lot and turn in by the baseball field.
· Drop-Off will begin at 7:50, daily
· Due to COVID restrictions, we will unload one car at a time. PLEASE have your child ready to go, and DO NOT exit the vehicle yourself. We will have staff ready to assist your child unlading on the SCHOOL SIDE of the car ONLY.
· If your child is not ready, you will be asked to pull back around and wait in line until they are. PARENTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO WALK THEIR CHILDREN TO CLASS.
Pick-Up During the School Day (8:20-2:30)
At any point before 2:30, if you need to sign your child out, please park your car, ring the bell, and sign your child out at the security desk.
One-Time Pick-Up at Dismissal (Afternoons after 2:30)
· You must send a note in the morning, or email the office by 2:15 for your child to be ready for pick-up. Emails to a child’s teacher are often not seen prior to dismissal. Please consider cc’ing all of the office staff in case someone is absent.
· Park your car in the lot nearest Great Neck Rd (you must enter this lot from Thomas Bishop Ln, the parking lot is one way)
· Come to the door facing Great Neck Rd, beginning at 2:40.
· Present your ID, and your child will be called for dismissal.
· Due to COVID restrictions, you may not enter the building. There is a nice overhang at this entrance to keep you out of the weather while you wait.
· You will not be able to pick-up your child at this entrance if you have not sent the appropriate request in writing (see above). We apologize for any inconvenience.
· Will be allowed to enter either on the Thomas Bishop (bus loop) side of the building, or through the main entrance (parent drop-off/pick-up lane).
· Due to COVID restrictions, we ask that you not accompany your child through the children exiting the cars and busses. Please walk your child to the closest staff member and not to the door.
Sample Letter to Parents about children with a fever
1ST WEEK PACKETS
Hello K-2 Parents/Guardians!
Your teacher will be sending home a folder with important information. Please complete and return all forms to your child's teacher by Friday, October 2. Thank you for your cooperation!
KIDZQUEST & GREAT NECK REC CENTER AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
The Kidzquest Program (in the Gym) will not start until October 6th. The Great Neck Recreation Center is closed for students until further notice.
John B Dey’s Students are the Apples of our eyes and they are APPLE-SOUTELY THE BEST IN THE WORLD
5TH Grade Orchestra - SIgn up today!
5th GRADE ORCHESTRA – LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER
Do you love music? How about making music? Making music WITH FRIENDS??? Me too!!
You should join JBD’s very own 5th Grade Orchestra!! You can learn to play the violin, viola, or cello. And it can be done virtually! Go to the JBD Orchestra website to find resources and information about signing up for our orchestra class: www.jbdorchestra.weebly.com.
I’m looking forward to meeting you!!
MILITARY AFFILIATION FORM
Thank you to those who have already returned your blue Military Affiliation Form. The Office appreciates you! If you have not already turned yours is you may:
1) return to your child's teacher or scan to Corinne.Gabriel@vbschools.com
2) Mail to John B. Dey Elementary 1900 N. Great Neck Rd. Va. Beach, VA 23454 or
3) Drop off at Security Desk
4) Fax to 757-648-2475