News from 4th Grade
The week of 2/6-2/10
News at a Glance...
- Due to the snow day this week, Friday, February 17th will be a Snow Day Makeup Day and school will be in session.
- Monday is a CYCLE DAY 5 due to the snow day.
- There is no school on Monday, February 20th.
- Holiday lunch for our class will be on Thursday, February 16th. Our class will report to the cafeteria at 11:10am.
- We have had MANY friends absent this week! Please make sure everyone is getting plenty of rest at night and hand washing is happening as much as possible.
What we're learning this week...
Journey's - Tuesday to Tuesday
“Why is farming important?” That’s the question we’ll explore this week. In the biographical selection Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez, we’ll learn about the man who brought the plight of migrant farm workers to national attention. This week’s informational text, The Edible Schoolyard, tells students how to become community leaders by creating a school garden
- Target Vocabulary: overcome, association, capitol, drought, dedicate, publicity, violence, conflicts, horizon, brilliant
- Vocabulary Strategy: Reference materials
- Comprehension Skill: Conclusions and generalizations—figure out unstated or broad ideas
- Comprehension Strategy: Infer/ predict—use clues from the text to predict what may happen or to understand unstated ideas
- Writing Focus: Opinion Writing - Zoos: Cool or Cruel?
This week we will continue our Geometry unit. On Tuesday, we will have a short quiz on lines, points, rays, line segments and angles. Starting Wednesday, we will start classifying triangles.
Fluency: We will have this cycle's fluency quiz (0-9 division facts) on Monday. Next week will focus on 0-10 division facts.
Homework: Homework will be a review packet with one page due each night.
Valentine's Day Celebration
We will be having our Valentine's Day celebration on Tuesday, February 14th in the afternoon. Students are encourage to make or purchase valentines to share with their classmates. A note will go home went home on Friday for volunteers and snack sign-ups if you are able to help!
We have 22 students in the class: