Heather Smith & Adriane Reinelt
December 18, 2015
Please click on the link button to view our classroom calendar for important events.
Holiday Thank You - Gift of Feeling Special
A very sincere thank you for the many beautiful gifts and the generous class gift of a Target gift card. We are truly grateful for our wonderful kids and their families and the "gift of feeling special".
We wish our families a wonderful holiday season and look forward to seeing everyone on Monday, January 4th.
Leader of the Week - Audrey
Holiday Home Learning ~ Gift of Reading
Holiday Home Learning - Gift of Struggle
Perseverance is learned through the "gift of struggle" by allowing our mathematicians to own their own joy when they have worked hard to create solutions to mathematical experiences. But just like an athlete, there are foundational skills that are necessary to practice in order to provide success within the "game". Those skills are mastering our addition and subtraction math facts. Mastering these facts will truly create less struggle as we evolve into higher level mathematics. Our mathematicians see this connection as we've discovered multiplication is repeated addition and they now really understand the benefit of efficiently adding basic facts.
With this in mind, please encourage your mathematician to "stay on top of their math game" and engage in reviewing either his/her addition, subtraction, or multiplication basic facts. Keep it simple and fun. Your mathematician was given a Math Game Book: Acing Math One Deck at a Time and a deck of cards as a holiday gift to encourage having fun with fact games and other card games during the break with family and friends. Click on the link below for additional math games from the book Acing Math One Deck at a Time.
Below are some fun practice options:
Math Games with a Deck of Cards:
- Acing Math One Deck at a Time - Collection of math games using only an ordinary deck of playing cards.
- Math Fact Games - Website that provides directions for 7 math games that use either a deck of cards or dice.
- Dude's Dilemma - Online game to help rescue Maggie's dog, Dude, who is trapped on a rooftop! You can rescue him by answering a few math questions. Pick addition, subtraction, multiplication, division or a mix of all four. Then pick a level (Easy, Hard, or Extreme). Each question you answer correctly will get you closer to rescuing Dude.
- Around the World - Online game to help Maggie fly around the world. Pick addition, subtraction, multiplication, division or a mix of all four. Then pick a level (Level 1: Easier and Level 2: Harder). Each question answered correctly gets Maggie to her next stop. However you only have 80 seconds to get her around the world!
- XtraMath - Progress monitoring and practice website that provides individualized feedback on your child's progress mastering basic facts.
- Addition/Subtraction triangle flashcards - Download triangle flashcards that group addition and subtraction by fact families.
- Multiplication fact cards (0-10) that were created in school.