SSSSI Cardinal Leger 2014-2015
A CATHOLIC SCHOOL LEARNING RESOURCE
What is SSSSI?
•A partnership between the Ontario Ministry of Education, the Ontario Principals’ Council, the Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario, and selected school boards
• Where students may not be on track to graduate within 4/5 years.
SSSSI: An Initiative Grounded in Research
• The initiative is grounded in the research of Fullan, Schmoker, Marzano, Elmore, Hopkins, Hargreaves, Hattie, and others. These researchers provide evidence that effective strategies to enhance success and positive outcomes for students.
•. Ministry developed tracking templates for the collection and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
How do we know SSSSI will work? Enter The Researchers:
John Hattie: Teachers as Change Agents
Michael Fullan: The Ontario Story
Mike Schmoker: Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
Introduction Marzano's Nine Strategies for Effective Instruction
Andy Hargreaves: Transforming Teaching in Every School
More Data: Evidence Based Instructional Strategies
Game Changers in Setting up for Success: 1) Principal as Instructional Leader
The principal as an instructional leader is expected to:
- Conduct a needs assessment using student achievement data and develop a cohort SMART goal
- Develop collaboratively with the learning team, a strategic and targeted SMART goal based on identified knowledge and skill gaps of students
- Actively participate in collaborative inquiry to support the professional learning of teachers
- Monitor the effectiveness of the classroom teaching and learning strategies on student achievement through the stages of the professional learning cycle for collaborative inquiry.