Trail Blazer News
Conducted by our new Communication Crew: Addie Katherine and Phoebe
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite movie?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite color?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite thing to do?
Brody: Trade Pokemon.
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite number?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite animal?
Brody: Cats and dogs.
Addie Katherine: Who is your best friend?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite food?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite super hero?
Brody: Ant Man.
Phoebe: What is your favorite book?
Brody: Little Rabbit Foo Foo.
Phoebe: What is your favorite holiday?
Phoebe: What is your favorite specialist?
Phoebe: What is your favorite song?
Brody: "Whip/Nae Nae."
Phoebe: What is your favorite instrument?
Phoebe: What is your favorite monster?
Phoebe: What is your favorite country?
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- 20 push pins (for a weather project).
- 80 small paper cups (for a weather project).
10/15/15: Fun Run
10/16/15: Picture Day
10/16/15: Early Release Day
10/26-10/27: No School
10/30/15: Fall Carnival
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing on nonfiction text features as we explore books about weather and maps.
- RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
Writing: We will begin our fiction writing unit this week. Students will use the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, and publishing). We are focusing primarily on organization, adding details, and excellent word choice.
- W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will continue Unit 4 on Monday. We are focusing on suffixes, closed syllable exceptions, closed syllables, glued sounds, vowel teams, and r-controlled sounds. Our test will be on Friday.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3.D Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3.A Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will begin our Time Unit on Monday by focusing on coin identification and counting groups of coins. It is a wonderful skill to continue practicing at home.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.C.7 Tell and write time from analog and digital clocks to the nearest five minutes, using a.m. and p.m.
Science: We will continue our study of weather through creating weather journals, exploring live weather through Google Earth, and creating interactive science journal entries.
- 2.E.1 Understand patterns of weather and factors that affect weather.
Social Studies: Students will design their own map of our classroom which includes symbols, legends, and cardinal directions.
● 2.G.1.1 Interpret maps of the school and community that contain symbols, legends and cardinal directions.