Let's Talk about Fat!
By: Mr. Smith and Mr. Forster
Contrary to popular belief, fat is actually a nutrient and is important for our bodies. Fat provides us with the energy we need to function at school, at home and even on the soccer field. Fat provides a cushion to help protect our vital organs – without fat our organs would be more prone to damage. Furthermore, fat acts as an insulator, helping us to maintain the correct body temperature. Some fatty acids – like omega 3 – provide other health benefits like improved brain function. Fat also makes food taste better.
However, there are two types of Fat. Good fat and bad fat.
- Also called unsaturated fats
- Fish, 'grass-fed' butter, nuts and vegetable oils
- Also called saturated fats
- Chips, french fries and hamburgers
some fats are really good for you, like avocados, nuts and butter :)
French fries are deep fried in oil. These are bad for you.
Most meat contains fat. Although animal fat is good for you, if its from a bad source then it may be harmful to your body
Examples in Advertisements
What Is This Advertising Saying?
What Misconceptions does this Advertisement Show?
- That Fat is bad for you
- Just because these French Fries are low in Fat, then this means that it must be healthy for you
- French Fries, no matter how much fat or calories, are bad for you
- Although you can eat them sometimes, it is important to keep a healthy diet
- Fats are good for you!!
- But you should eat healthy sources of Fat like nuts, avocados and butter