Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
Quote for the Principal's Journey
Teresa Tulipana, Ed.D.
Leadership Development Specialist
Update From the Executive Director
Your success is our business @MOASSP. This year is full of promise & anticipation. You are skilled at noticing & responding. Treasure every moment. A new year begins, unselfish in service to others. Interruptions allow for opportunities to lead. #1st3Days #moassp
This is an exciting time of the year. This past week, back to school nights have been offered for stakeholders. Later this evening in schools across Missouri, jamborees will be underway. School is happening.
As Matt Finch, Principal at Marceline, said in an email to his Northeast principal colleagues this week, “Finally some noise in the hallways! It's go time.” Well stated Matt.
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey”, it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
See who has joined us this past week. Welcome new MoASSP members. Click on a name and connect with a colleague in your district or another part of the state by sending an email.
University Academy Executive Director & Superintendent, Tony Kline, Assistant Superintendent, Rebecca Gudde
Dr. Teresa Tulipana, Leadership Development Specialist
Leadership is second only to classroom instruction among all school-related factors that contribute to what students learn at school. Learn how to improve leadership skills AND the skill of teachers you serve in this year’s administrator book study, Get Better Faster: A 90 Day Plan for Coaching New Teachers by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo. Get Better Faster shares instructive tools of how school leaders can effectively guide new teachers to success by focusing on the actionable and the practice-able. Invest an hour and a half one Wednesday each month to discuss the month’s reading, plan for implementation and problem-solve obstacles. For more information, contact Dr. Teresa Tulipana.
Longtime successful principal for Kansas City Public Schools and North Kansas City Schools, Bob Russell, will be mentoring new principals this year in the KC metro.
Dr. Marsha Chappelow, KC Charter Schools' Field Director MO-Dept of Secondary/Elementary Education
John Robertson, DESE Coordinator for Educational Support Services visited the MoASSP Office this past week to talk about MOCAP.
John Robertson will be at the Fall Conference to update us on MOCAP.
Mark Your Calendar for the MoASSP/MCCTA Fall Conference "Leading A Healthy Climate in OUR Schools!"
Sunday, Sep. 30th, 5pm to Tuesday, Oct. 2nd, 11am
Holiday Inn Executive Center - Columbia 2200 Interstate 70 Dr SW, Columbia, MO 65203
Schedule for Clark & Doug for August 17-24
- Friday, Aug. 17: MoASSP Office is Closed
- Monday, Aug. 20: MoASSP Office
- Tuesday, Aug. 21: Clark and Doug Visit Illinois Principals Association in Springfield, IL
- Wednesday, Aug. 22: School Visits
- Thursday, Aug. 23: MoASSP Office
- Friday, Aug. 24: MoASSP Office is Closed
SAVE THE DATE: National Principals Conference July 18-20, 2019 in Boston, MA
Missouri was well represented with 97 attending the National Principals Conference last month in Chicago. Save the date now to attend next years conference. If you are interested in attending or presenting, click here to begin receiving updates.
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: TBD
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Cathy Freeman, Hillsboro HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
MoASSP/MCCTA Features "Digital Principal of the Year", Dr. Bill Ziegler, As Closing Keynote At Fall Conference
Dr. Bill Ziegler is an award-winning School Leader, author, and speaker. He has been recognized as the 2016 Pennsylvania Principal of the Year and the 2015 National Association of Secondary School Principals Digital Principal Award Winner. He is the co-author of Future-Focused Leaders - Relate, Innovate, and Invigorate for Real Educational Change. Bill serves as a High School Principal and has 20 years of experience as a School Leader. Bill resides in Pennsylvania with his wife and two high school and college-aged children.
Thanks to Our Corporate Sponsors for Helping Support the Vision & Mission of MoASSP
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.