About the Lesson and Activities!
Outcomes, standards, objectives, and assessment
6th Grade social studies and langauge arts
Iowa Core - 6th grade
Writing Standard (Activity 1)
3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences.
Literature Standard (Activity 2)
2. Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
Language Standard (Activity 3)
4. Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 6 reading content, choose flexibly from a range of strategies.
1. The students will be able to write a one page paper explaining how they would feel if they were placed in the Auschwitz Concentration Camp while including specific examples after taking a virtual tour of the location.
2. The students will complete a semantic map displaying a central theme or ide of the story while providing detailed examples.
3. The students will be able to create a QR code that includes the definition of the word, a sentence including the word, and stating where the word was used in the book.
Activity 1 - Paper checklist
- Length (5pt.)
- detailed examples from the book or virtual tour (10 pts.)
- Number of Errors (-1 for every error)
Activity 2 - Quiz
- 2 short answer questions (10 pts.)
- Describe what a theme is
- Describe a theme and provide three examples
Activity 3 - QR code checklist
- Definition of Word (2 pt.)
- Word used in sentence correctly (2 pt.)
- Where the word was used in the book (2 pt.)
Overall Assessment - Test
- comprehension questions over book
- opinion questions about personal feelings
- Questions related to theme
- Vocabulary questions