Messages from Memorial
THE INDIANA STATE RUNNER UP TEAM FOR 2022 SCIENCE BOWL
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to thank you for your continued generosity. Because of you, PTO was able to purchase some new stools for students working in small intervention groups and new benches for the front of the school. PTO is also helping buy paint supplies for our visiting artist coming in February. This artist will be working will all the students and preparing a mural for the Memorial hallway. I will share pictures via Class Dojo as the project is installed.
As we move toward March, please be mindful of the testing windows for IREAD3 and ILEARN. Students typically do better when they test with their classmates. The test windows are March 7-18 for IREAD3, for third graders, and April 18 - May 13, for students in grades 3, 4, and 5. Please schedule travel and appointments outside of these dates or after school, if possible.
It looks like winter has arrived. Please make sure that your child is appropriately dressed for outdoor recess. We go outside each day unless it is 0 degrees or lower, with wind chill, or unless it is too wet. Hats, mittens, snow pants, and boots are required to play in the snow. If you need assistance with any of those items, please contact Mrs. Seip.
With Great Respect,
Mrs. Debra Misecko
Dates to Remember
1-8 Smart Heart Sales
9 - PTO Meeting at 3:30
9 - PTO Little Caesers Pizza Kit orders due today (see flyer below)
14 - Happy Valentines Day
17 - Smart Heart Delivery
18 - No School for Mid - Winter Break/Snow Make-Up Day (eLearning if needed)
21 - No School for Mid - Winter Break
23 - Memorial PTO Family Day at Shoe's Pizza (11 a.m. - 9 p.m.) - a flyer will be coming soon
23 & 24 - Visiting Artist
28 - Little Caesers Pizza Kit Pick Up
9 - PTO Meets at 3:30
11- End of 3rd grading period
21 - 25 - Spring Break - No school
28 - School Resumes
31 - Family STEM Night at Memorial
FYI - IMPORTANT DATES TO BE IN SCHOOL:
Grade 3 - IREAD 3 - March 7 - 18
Grades 3, 4, & 5- ILEARN - April 18 - May 13
SMARTHEARTS ON SALE NOW
Dismissal Help is Needed
Discovery Fair PIctures
Reminders from Memorial
- Please make sure your child has the appropriate outdoor wear for the weather. We will go outside everyday unless it is 0 degrees, with wind chill, or if it is too wet.
- Please make sure that you are screening for COVID 19 symptoms before sending your child to school. If anyone in the home is being tested, because of symptoms, please wait for a negative result before sending you child to school. If you are unsure of what to do, please keep your child home and call the Memorial nurse for assistance.
- Follow this link to the VCS COVID 19 Information websites.
- Morning supervision and breakfast begin at 8:20. Please drop off your child after 8:20. If they would like to eat breakfast we will send them right in. All other students will be let in the building at 8:30 a.m. The tardy bell rings at 8:45.
- Pick up and drop off should only be done along the school on the curb on Milton Street. Students should not be dropped off or picked up in the school parking lots. The parking lots are not supervised for safety.
- Please consider putting a spare mask in your child's backpack. Some students are experiencing mask malfunctions and losses during the school day.
- Water bottles are important each day, as we only have filling stations available to students.
Habit #6 - Synergize
Memorial continues to focus on sharing The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Dr. Stephen Covey. We will talk about one of the 7 Habits each month. The February Habit is Habit #6 - "Synergize." The most important part of habit 6 is "Together is Better." For more information please read more from Dr. Stephen Covey's website.
A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PARENTS - LOVE AND LOGIC
Job Opening at Memorial
Some of the other things she shared were:
Specific Apps Parents Should Worry About:
- Tiktok, Snapchat, Google Hangouts, Whisper, and Omegle
Helpful Tips for parents:
- Use monitoring software
- Do not ignore age restrictions
- Check Privacy Settings
- Review account history
- Make realistic rules and consequences
- Know your child's online world
And Resources for more information:
We are so excited to announce the PTO Executive Board for the 2021-2022 school year and greatly appreciate their willingness to work in these valued positions.
President - Kristen Elinkowski
Vice President - Rose Gutshall
Treasurer - Megan Taylor
Secretary - Rae Smedley
Stay tuned for more information coming about 21-22 PTO events. They will be shared in the Memorial Newsletter, on the Memorial Elementary PTO Facebook page, and the Memorial PTO Website.