January 8, 2021
MLK TEEN PEACE & SOCIAL JUSTICE SUMMIT OPEN TO TAMANEND STUDENTS
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
CB South Virtual Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders)--Activities begin Thursday, January 7 (information below in this edition of the newsletter)
Tamanend Trivia Night--rescheduled for Thursday, January 14 at 7:00 PM (virtual, on Teams)
Martin Luther King, Jr Day (School Holiday)--Monday, January 18
Parent Council--Thursday, January 21 at 9:00 AM (virtual, on Teams)
Student Picture Re-Takes--Thursday, January 21 or by appointment at studio until January 29
- Attendance at basketball games is currently available for one (1) parent/player and cheerleader for home games only, and a ticket must be shown prior to entry. Attendance at any event is subject to appropriate behavior and adherence to CBSD athletic and districtwide health and safety plans. Anyone who refuses to adhere to guidelines will be asked to leave campus.
- Tryouts for 7th and 8th Grade Boys Basketball will take place in early February. Please continue to check the weekly newsletter for details. Anyone interested in trying out must be registered on Family ID. Please refer to the Tamanend Athletics web page for information on the registration process.
- REMINDER: Please keep in mind that students must go home at the end of the school day. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete and parent/guardian to coordinate transportation back to school on days of practices/games, as well as for away games.
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15)
- No Contests
- No Contests
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Lenape (Away; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- No Contests
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Tamanend Trivia Night is Re-Scheduled for Thursday, January 14
Tamanend Student Council and Tamanend National Junior Honor Society will host a Tamanend Trivia Night online and for the whole family on Thursday, January 14. Each family can form a team. The trivia game will be played live on Kahoot and hosted on Microsoft Teams:
- Date: Thursday, January 14
- All families and faculty/staff are invited to play.
- The game will begin at 7pm. Please log on by 6:45. The trivia game will last about one hour.
- This event is FREE, but everyone must register in advance in order to receive the link to the game.
- You can play as a single person or as a team, but everyone needs a team name and a team captain.
- Trivia questions will include a variety of topics, including some Tamanend-related trivia.
You will need two devices to play: A laptop or mobile device to join us via Microsoft Teams AND a mobile device with the free app Kahoot!, available on the Apple App Store or GooglePlay. Participants can login to Teams using the link at 6:45 pm and trivia will start promptly at 7pm. The Teams link will be shared with each team captain on Thursday, Janauary 14 at 3:00pm.
In order to play, please fill out the registration form below by Thursday, January 14 at 12:00pm.
You will need to create a team name and designate a team captain. The team captain, who will be entering the team's answers, will need to enter this team name in Kahoot! on the night of the event.
Click HERE to register!
We look forward to playing with you!
CB South Virtual Curriculum Fair for Current 9th Graders
Information regarding 9th to 10th grade Program Planning is now live online. We hope that you enjoyed our introduction to CB South’s programs which can still be accessed on our Curriculum Information website. We wish to offer our families of the Class of 2024 the opportunity to have their questions answered by preparing for live virtual sessions next Tuesday.
1) After watching the various videos on our Curriculum Information website, we are certain that you have some questions. As a result, we are inviting you to complete a survey in order to share your questions with us. If you choose to complete the survey, we ask that you do so my 12:00 PM on Monday, January 11th since we will use the survey results to assist us in preparing for the virtual sessions.
2) On Tuesday, January 12th, Class or 2024 School Counselors Mrs. Ladley and Mrs. Barrett will host virtual sessions for interested parents. Both sessions will cover the same information so you can choose a session that works best for your schedule. The sessions will be offered via Microsoft Teams. To access the meetings, please use the links below:
- 8am-9am: Click here to join the meeting
- 1pm-2pm: Click here to join the meeting
Once again, the purpose of these sessions is to address the most frequently asked questions that we received from the survey sent to all families on January 8th and to provide further clarification for families about the course selection process. The team will also share their advice to parents as they assist their students through the program planning process and introduce parents to some unique opportunities our incoming students will experience. These sessions are not mandatory and are not intended to address individual questions about your child’s high school plan. Questions as such should be directed to your child’s middle school counselor and/or middle school teachers at this time.
Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
Congratulations, December Boomerang Winners and Nominees
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award is a district-wide program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by the chosen asset for each month of the school year. For the month of December, the asset was Positive Peer Influence— Recognizing a young person who models responsible behavior for their peers. We had 20 nominations. Now we would like to highlight our building winner, 8th grade student, Brett Barrett.
Brett was a district winner for Boomerang last year and continues to be a positive peer influence at school and in the community. Brett can be described as attentive, polite, and hard-working. During hybrid learning, Brett has been a model student. When he is online, he has his camera on and is always ready to learn and participate. In the classroom, he is not afraid to try new things in class and asks great questions. His positive attitude and enthusiasm make other students feel comfortable and more willing to participate and engage in class. Congratulations to Brett and all the following nominees: Karl McLaughlin, Christian Balint, Auoss Azzarouk, David Dougherty, Elizabeth Gordon, Alexa Gutierrez-Hernandez, Reid Ermigiotti, Nathan Zeigler, Luca Giglio, Jacob Ruddell, Rosemary Marraccini, Richard Scholer, Luka Jonjic, Tristan Harvey, Gianna Vinciguerra, Ebi Velaj, Jillian Jefferys
Tamanend 8th Grader Organizes Holiday Gift Drive & Fundraiser for Bucks County Children & Youth
Tamanend 8th Grader Layla Gentile organized a holiday gift drive and fundraiser for Bucks County Children and Youth. Layla was a foster child of Bucks County Children & Youth before being adopted. She considers herself extremely blessed and looks for ways to help other kids currently in foster care. Layla reached out to her former case worker who put her in contact with the Donations Coordinator of Bucks County Children & Youth. After the meeting, Layla learned that there was a significant need this year for their teen population. Layla coordinated and put together a fundraiser in a few weeks that included donation request emails, collecting donations, gifts and much more. She raised $3,110 along with many gift donations for the Bucks County Children & Youth teens this Christmas. The County was overwhelmed by her efforts and her fundraising drive exceeded their expectations. We are very proud of Layla and her commitment to helping others!
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Roaring Voices Review (Tamanend's Literary Magazine) is Accepting Submissions for our Next Edition
Tamanend's Literary Magazine (Roaring Voices Review) is looking to publish your work! We welcome any poetry, short stories, artwork, or photography that you have created to be part of our next winter edition at the end of January. If you have something you would like to submit for our winter edition, please send your creations to Mrs. Mancini (email@example.com) or Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than January 12.
Reminder--Tamanend Players Spirit Wear Sale
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
It’s a great time to order your child’s 2020-2021 Tamanend Yearbook! If you order online prior to January 31, 2021 the cost of the full-color, hardback yearbook is on sale for $35 (plus tax). This is also the deadline if you’d like to add any additional personalization to your child’s yearbook. The price of the yearbook will increase to $37.50 from February 1st-March 31st, and finally to $40 for any yearbooks ordered up until April 30th. Please click the link here to take you to Jostens online ordering page. No preorders will be accepted in school – all orders must be done through Jostens. If you have any questions, please email Kristen Gerth at email@example.com.
Reminder--Tamanend Student Pictures
Picture re-take day will be held on January 21. Additionally, parents/guardians can call C&C Studios at 215-345-1851 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule and in-studio appointment. Once your appointment has been made, we will email you the paperwork (Picture Order Form and Covid-19 Consent Form) needed to be filled out brought in at the time of your appointment. Should you wish to make an appointment for any other children that attend high school or elementary school please feel free to do so. All scheduled appointments will be given ample time to provide the utmost customer service and the time allotted will be based on the number of students per family being photographed. Please note that in-studio appointments will not be available for purchase online. All questions will be answered directly by C&C Studios at 215-345-1851 or email email@example.com. For a copy of our Covid-19 Safety Protocol, please email us at the above email address and we send you one. Picture order forms are also available in our Lobby. The last day for appointments at C&C Studios is Friday, January 29.
Reminder--Tamanend Parent Book Club
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Landis (email@example.com) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Teachers will be taking attendance every class period during hybrid learning. If your child is unable to participate in hybrid learning during all or part of the day due to illness or medical appointment, please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Please note for Hybrid students: If your child is participating online from home due to illness on a day he or she is scheduled to be in the building, please contact Attendance. Your child will receive Attendance credit for participating online that day if he/she is logging on to Teams calls and participating in classes.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
- The course selection process has started for current 9th grade students. Students and parents/guardians will be receiving an email on Friday, January 15th that contains important information regarding the course selection process. As other grade levels work through program planning, updates will be provided.
- Child and Family Focus, Inc. will be hosting sessions titled “Strengthening Families Program: For Parents and Youth ages 10-14 (SFP 10-14)” which is an evidence-based program that began in 1993 and has been rigorously evaluated for 26 years! All families can learn from this program because families all have needs and challenges. This program highlights family strengths and helps to build stronger families through the practice of skills, tools, and strategies that can assist in children having bright futures, and creation of stronger and safer communities. Sessions are fun and interactive and can all be facilitated virtually! Please see the flier below for more details.
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Success in the New Economy
In today’s world we are all trying to know what is best for our children but it is difficult to see what lies ahead for them. The “Sparks” video below gives some economic insight into the past, present and future. Please share your reactions to this video with you children for their own understanding of future possibilities.
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at email@example.com.
Success in the new economy
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Reminder--Revised Guidelines Regarding Quarantine & Travelling Outside of Pennsylvania
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently revised their recommendations around the length of time that an individual should quarantine after exposure to a positive COVID-19 case. The district integrated these changes into our Health and Safety Plan. These changes will dictate the time that students are unable to attend school in-person and participate in school-sponsored activities and athletics following exposure and/or travel outside of Pennsylvania.
- Students must remain at home for 10 days—7 days with evidence of a negative COVID-19 test—from the date of last close personal contact with a positive individual. The COVID-19 test must have been administered at least 5 days after the exposure.
- The commonwealth has revised their travel restrictions to reflect the CDC’s new guidance. Pennsylvanians who are returning home after travel are required to either quarantine for 10 days without testing, or to quarantine for 7 days with a negative test on or after day 5 of quarantine. Please note, out of an abundance of caution, our health and safety plan protocols require all students and employees to refrain from in-person instruction and school-sponsored athletics and activities during the commonwealth’s travel quarantine period regardless of age.
Please find a revised flow chart that contains this new guidance for your reference below. If we continue to stay home when we are sick, wear face coverings consistently and appropriately, wash hands regularly, and stay six feet away from others as much as possible, we will all do our part to help one another stay heathy.
Reminder--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast and Lunch Available for Free to All Students
The Central Bucks School District and Aramark are committed to providing every student with the tools they need to succeed, including nutritious meals they can enjoy at no charge. No applications are needed! Breakfast bags will be available for daily grab and go pick up in the morning in the Cafeteria. Grab a breakfast bag and start your day off by fueling your body or hold onto it and enjoy at the designated snack period. Lunch will be available to grab and go at dismissal from the Cafeteria. On Tuesdays and on Fridays, students may take home Breakfast and Lunches for the three school days they are learning online from home. Parents can also pick up breakfast and lunch meals for students on Mondays and Thursdays from 10:30-12:00 at one of three locations:
CB West Visitor Entrance
CB South Gymnasium Entrance
CB East Main Office Entrance
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder--Coats for Our Kids
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Award
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults. Nominations for January's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 01/22. The chosen for January is Asset #33: Interpersonal Competence- Recognizing a young person who has empathy, sensitivity, and friendship skills. Please submit your nomination through this link.
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 21st, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900