School Newsletter — September 4
Note from the Principal
Dear Hazeldale Families,
Hazeldale is awaiting its official notice that we are an authorized Primary Years Programme School! http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/primary-years-programme/ .
Check out this website for PYP at Hazeldale. We're working to get this added to our main website. As you may know, budget reductions for this year eliminated the role of the PYP Coordinator and the World Language teacher. We are still committed to this work, and are in process of building our bridge plan in the meantime. Students will have access to language development in their technology special. Heidi Gilbertson will still serve as our PYP Coordinator in a role that is extended responsibility. She is a full time classroom teacher this year.
One component of being an IB school includes the PYP Learner Profile Attributes. We focus as a whole school on one attribute per month. This year, there will be Principal Coffee Chats prior to our monthly assemblies, for which you may care to stay for. Our first coffee chat is Friday, September 20th at 8:35 in the Multipurpose Conference Room. The all school assembly begins at 9:30 am, for which you are welcome to be our guest. Please sit in the section of the bleachers closest to the entrance doors.
September’s Learner Profile Attribute is CARING
CARING: They show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and the environment.
I encourage you to talk with your child about the attribute of caring. How does the attribute of caring help your child make a difference to the lives of others and the environment?
Angela Tran, Principal
Hazeldale is a Title IA School— Parent Involvement Policy
Health—Parent and Guardian Information
- Thursday, September 5th—First Student Day for Kinders with Last Names beginning with letters A-L (These students will stay home on September 5th)
- Thursday, September 5th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (For Kinder Parents)
- Friday, September 6th—First Student Day for Kinders with Last Names beginning with letters M-Z
- Friday, September 6th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (For Kinder Parents)
- Monday, September 9th—Volunteer Orientation 6 pm & PTO Meeting 6:30 pm in Multipurpose Conference Room
- Friday, September 20th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (our all school assembly is at 9:30 am and the section on the bleachers closest to the gym entrance doors is reserved for guests)
- Friday, September 20th—PTO Family Night @ 5:30 pm—Details coming soon!
- Friday, September 27th—PTO Fun Run—main fundraiser of the school year
- Monday, September 30th—Art Literacy Training 10-11 am in Art Literacy Room
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
Hazeldale’s Mission and Vision
Hazeldale Elementary School works to support and inspire every child to think, to learn, to care, and to engage with power and agency in a changing world.
We provide a learning environment and instruction that promotes engagement, academic excellence, self-confidence, independence, risk and resilience. We foster respect, an appreciation of self and others, and collaboration through inquiry, exploration, goal setting, and service.
Hazeldale Elementary School
The District prohibits discrimination and harassment based on any basis protected by law, including but not limited to, an individual's actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status, veteran status, or because of a perceived or actual association with any other persons within these protected classes.