Zeeland Quest News
May 27, 2022
2021/2022 ZQuest Calendar & Highlights
Car Wash Fundraiser Sales: May 16-June 6 (see info below)
Memorial Day Parade with 1st-5th graders from ZPS: May 30, 8:45am (line up)--see info below
ZQuest Break Week: May 30-June 3
Zeeland East Graduation: June 1 @ Hope College, DeVos Fieldhouse, 7pm
Zeeland West Graduation: June 2 @ Hope College, DeVos Fieldhouse, 7pm
Car Wash Orders DUE TODAY: June 6
Character Matters 1st-5th gr. Music Presentation: June 8, ZQ performs @ 7:30pm @ DeWitt Auditorium
Celebrations Around the World: June 14, all day (see sign up for help needed!)
Kinder-2nd Grade John Ball Zoo Field Trip: June 21, 9a-2p
Last Day of School: June 23
ZQuest End of the Year Celebration: June 23, Huizenga Park, 6p-8p
Summer Break! June 24-August 7
ZPS 1st-5th graders and Memorial Day Parade!
1st-5th Graders!!! You are INVITED to participate in
Zeeland's Annual Memorial Day Parade!
Monday, May 30
Line up for students: 8:45am
( Please meet us at the corner of Centennial & Main on the west side of Cityside Middle School)
1st through 5th grade students may walk in the parade. They may dress in patriotic colors if they would like. All ZPS elementary schools will walk together with a ZPS banner made especially for us! 3rd-5th grades may ride their scooters or skates and can be decorated with patriotic colors as well.
Pick up of your child will be in the grassy area between Zeeland Recreation & CTY parking lot.
Please do not wait until the end of the parade to get your child. When you see our group pass your parade viewing location, please begin to make your way to the pick up location outside Zeeland Rec!
ZQUEST EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
QUALITY CAR WASH FUNDRAISER:
- Dates: now - June 6th, 2022
- To do: Buy and/or sell car wash vouchers to neighbors, family, and friends:
- Order forms will be sent home in May to sell to others, paid orders need to be returned to ZQuest by June 6th
- Order on sign up genius here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090944a5ad2da57-quality
- Additional Information:
- Pick up car wash vouchers will be prior to Father's Day
- Quality Car Wash donates about 40% of each voucher to ZQuest
CELEBRATIONS AROUND THE WORLD:
- Sign up/Prep: Now There are many ways to participate prior to the event and the day of
- Event date: Tuesday, June 14th
- WHAT IS THIS?!?! An interesting and different way to learn - what ZQuest is all about! Classes will rotate through each of the designated rooms, learning about a different country and its holiday/observance/celebration. They may also get to sample the holiday food of that country. More details and sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090944a5ad2da57-20221
- Why? Enriching our children's lives by teaching about other cultures and celebrations they may not have exposure to or know about. 2022 Celebrations:
- Christmas in Africa
- Tulip Time in Holland, MI
- Highland Games in Scotland
- International Jazz Day
- World Braille Day
- Chinese New Year in China
- Juneteenth and Loving Day in United States
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FAMILY PARTY:
- DATE: Thursday, June 23rd
- What?: Fun meet up at a Zeeland park after school. Bring your own dinner and hang out with friends.
- Information coming closer to the end of the year.
The Elementary Art Department cordially invites everyone to view the 2021-2022 Virtual Art Show. Student artwork is organized by building. Access your child’s artwork by clicking on the link below. Enjoy the Show!
ZEE BUS Summer Schedule!
2022/2023 School Information
2022/2023 Transportation Form
Transportation forms for the 2022/23 school year are again needed by the transportation office. This form is needed for all students regardless of how they get to school so we can begin planning busing for next year. This year the forms are online making it easier than ever! Please fill out the transportation form by clicking HERE.
2022/2023 ZKids Enrollment
It's that time of the year again!
Time to enroll for the 2022/2023 ZKids Childcare. Those of you who are new to this, please know that you must enroll right away to ensure a spot for your child(ren). ZKids generally fills up very quickly!
For Zeeland Quest, ZKids is offered at ZQuest during our summer hours (in June and August), Monday-Thursday (Fridays the kids go to Quincy, unless otherwise specified). In July, the kids go to Quincy (or another location specified).
Enrollment for ZKids begins...
February 1, 2022 for current families, and
March 16, 2022 for new families for the 22/23 year
Summer camp (this is for this July) Registration starts March 16
Click HERE to go directly to the enrollment options
ZQuest PTO Information
GENERAL PTO MEETING COMING UP!!!
The next ZQuest PTO Meeting is on
Wednesday, May 18 at 6:30pm via zoom or at Howard Miller Library
Join Zoom Meeting--TBD
FOOD SERVICE Information
School Year (August-June) Breakfast and Lunch Information
Please fill out the Free/Reduced Meals application REGARDLESS of your financial status. Each application filled out helps support the district. Click HERE to take a few minutes to fill out the application (even if you know you will not be approved)!
Parent Website at http://www.zquestparents.com/. This site is our MAIN place of information and should become a habit to look at for reminders and answers. If we need to point out something specific, Leslie will send it in an email with attachments and teachers will do so as well in their classrooms!
You can also find information on our Parent’s Facebook page located at ZQuest Parents if you search for us on Facebook. This is ONLY a place for reminders and parent engagement and sharing. This is NOT where we store information or publish information that must get to parents.
We will also be using the REMIND app, which has been a great tool for us. This will primarily be for reminders and should we have a fog delay or snow day (I can’t believe I’m talking about snow!). Your child’s teachers may set up a classroom REMIND as well. They will come to you in the same way and will tell you who the REMIND message is from.
- Directions for signing up to receive REMIND texts:
- Text @zquest2021 to the number 81010 (you will receive a welcome text from Remind)
Go to https://www.remind.com/join/zquest2021 and follow the directions
Safety: The safety of all of the kids is our number one priority. During the summer hours there will be someone in the office during our school day. If you need to come for any reason, you MUST at all times have a sticker from the volunteer computer that permits you into the building. You may NOT just come down (this includes just dropping your child off to their classroom). We really enjoy our parents being so involved in our classrooms, but we also have to follow the safety procedures that are put in place district wide. PLEASE be sure to enter the office, sign in using the volunteer computer system, put your name identification on your shirt (clearly visible) and then you can head down. If you do not have your identification clearly visible you will be stopped and asked to return to the office. Remember, this is not to make it hard for you, as the parent, to help in the classroom or visit/drop your child off, but to keep all of the kids in the building safe!
Volunteering: Be prepared to re-submit or submit your information for a background check in August by going to the following website: https://v2ms.zps.org/Login.aspx or stopping in the office and resubmitting your fingerprints and information through our volunteer computer in the main office.
At any time in the building, you do not have a visible green name tag on your clothes, you will be stopped and asked to return to the office. If your name tag is yellow, it indicates that your background check has not been fulfilled yet and you will be asked to return to the office. If your name tag is red, you are NOT permitted into the building past the main office (but please know that if you receive a letter in the mail from our Volunteer and Background Coordinator, you may appeal your denial through a letter format, and that is good for the remainder of your children’s schooling in Zeeland). This is for the safety of all of our kids. We are not trying to make entrance difficult, however it is our number one priority to make sure that all of our students are safe from the time they enter our building until they leave our building. We do everything in our power to make sure their education is the best!
MTSS-B at ZQuest!
Positive Behavior Intervention Support System (MTSS-B at ZQuest)
Your learner will be hearing some new vocabulary at ZQuest starting in August. We have created a system of supports that revolve around behaviors, very similar to our system of supports for academics. We want all of our learners to feel safe, valued and loved in order to learn in the very best environment possible. A little information for you!
What is MTSS-B?
Multi-Tiered System of Supports for Behavior (aligns with our district’s MTSS-Academics) is an umbrella framework that includes RTI and PBIS (Positive Behavioral Intervention & Supports) frameworks. Multi-Tiered Systems of Support for Behavior (MTSS-B) is not a specific model but a compilation of effective practices, interventions, and systems change strategies that are designed to prevent student behavior problems and promote student achievement.
Why MTSS-B in Zeeland?
When students lack the behavioral and social skills necessary to focus on academics/achieve in school, we see far too many times that they are more at risk of failing or falling behind. Teachers are in need of proper support to eliminate the time being spent on managing student behavior and increase actual teaching time.
Our Goal at ZQuest (supported by ZPS)?
How it all began! We launched our SCHOOL-WIDE GOAL to students in January!
GOAL: Our staff and students will explore how to promote a community of inclusiveness and looking out for each other in all areas of our school through a PBL unit. This unit was implemented as the ZQuest MTSS-B model for the 2018/2019 school year and will continue in the future. In the end, we want to create a positive school climate that fosters positive behaviors and academic successes!
What is our Plan and how does it work?
Each of the following positive behaviors will be taught to all learner’s at ZQuest. We will be intentional about showing examples of both the negative behavior and the positive behavior, with emphasis on the positive. We have reward tickets that learners will be earning weekly (as school starts) and then gradually requiring learners to earn tickets in less intentional ways. These tickets will then turn into a reward that builds a relationship (rather than monetary or food gifts). By teaching positive behavior, learners will come to school knowing the expectations they are being held to and great learning for all can happen. We will be implementing a consequence matrix system as well, but will not release this until September when all teaching of expected behavior has been completed.
Q= Quality Choices is our overarching foundation. Everything that we do must be done with quality choices & all of our expectations fall under quality choices.
U= Understanding YOUR Impact. How does your behavior impact yourself?
E= Empathy. How does your behavior affect your peers and teachers?
S= Safety. How does your behavior affect your safety, your peers’ safety and your teachers’ safety?
T= Trustworthy. How does your behavior affect your integrity?
ZQuest Attendance Line: 616-748-3060
Creekside Attendance Line: 616-748-3310
Research shows that students learn best and reduce the academic slide when they are in school more often. One of the most attractive things about ZQuest (besides PBL) is the year-round, balanced calendar. This type of calendar allows for a break week in September/October, November, December/January, February, April, May and the entire month of July (it equals out to about one week off every 5-6 weeks). We recognize that it’s not always possible to schedule adult work vacations around the school calendar, however we ask that you try your best to make this happen. It’s extremely hard to make sure that kids are continuing their learning trajectory, especially in PBL groups, when group members are missing or when teachers need to collect work or try to catch kids up due to multiple weeks being gone. Please view the county-wide attendance policy that is in effect currently. It’s important to note that our middle school students WILL NOT be counted absent during our break weeks from Creekside, that is aligned with our calendar and is acceptable, so long as they are not participating in 9th grade PE/Health and/or it is not a performance week for band/choir/orchestra/dance.
Ottawa Area Intermediate School District’s (OAISD) Attendance Policy:
Chronic Absenteeism, 10%-Whether excused or unexcused:
At any time during the school year if a student has absences (either excused OR unexcused) that have reached 10% of their school days as being absent, this should initiate the following steps by the district addressing concerns. It is recommended that these check marks be made at 30 days of school, 60, 90, 120, 150.
At any time during the school year a student has tardies (late arrivals and early dismissals) that have reached 20% of their school days, or any combination of the above, the following steps should be initiated:
· At 5 days absent (or at 10% of their school days being absent) a district identifies a potential attendance problem (both excused and unexcused absences are counted in this percentage).
· At 7 absences (or continued absences after identified attendance issue) district sends out an attendance letter addressing concerns of absences (both excused and unexcused absences are counted in this percentage).
· At 10 absences (or continued absences after identified attendance issue) district attempts to contact parent/guardian to discuss attendance issues and offer any support as needed. District also attempts to confirm that the parent/guardian received an attendance letter. Tier 1 and Tier 2 supports being reviewed by school (see handout) (both excused and unexcused absences are counted in this percentage).
· At 12 absences (or continued absences after identified attendance issue) district attempts to contact parent/guardian and schedules school meeting to complete Truancy Meeting Forms and offer any resources that might be helpful. Tier 1 and Tier 2 supports being reviewed by school (see handout) (both excused and unexcused absences are counted in this percentage).
· At 15 absences (or continued absences after identified attendance issue) and the district has exhausted all resources and interventions and attendance has not improved, a referral to the ISD is made via the Truancy Data Manager (TDM). After a referral has been made, all absences must have a doctor’s note in order to be marked excused.
· *Schools can refer a student to truancy prior to 15 absences (especially elementary) as long as the student has missed 10% of the school year and the school has exhausted all efforts and tiered interventions to improve attendance.
Excused absence means the following:
Residential treatment (with doctor’s note or verified by parent)
Medical appointments (with doctor’s note)
Lice (3 days)
Funeral/death in family
Mandated court appearances (documented-only if children are required per subpoena).
Placement by Juvenile Court in detention.
Educational opportunities approved by school officials
Travel (5 days with school official approval)
Unexcused absence is any absence not accounted for above, examples of unexcused absences include, but not limited to:
Staying home to baby-sit
Travel (more than 5 days in school calendar or any travel days without prior approval)
Needed at home
Child is not immunized
Sickness (not documented or verified by parent)
Chronic lice (over 5 days, CPS referral may be suggested/should be considered).
Willful truancy (skipping/student refuses to attend school per parent/guardian, or reported as a run-away).
Failure to notify school
Zeeland Quest Informational Video
Diabetes Management Plan (come to the office or your doctor will have the plan)