Teaching Comprehension Strategies
Mastering Figure 19 Meta-cognitive Strategies
January 11, 2017 / Arlington, TX
Reading for Meaning
In this energizing, fast-paced seminar, educators will learn research-based strategies students need to use to process a variety of texts. Take your students from think alouds to literature circles as they learn to think about the text and beyond the text. Explore ready-to-use techniques and activities to help student master the TEKS Figure 19 Comprehension Strategies. Kelly Harmon will provide instruction, activities, and ideas for engaging students in close and recreational reading.
Specifically designed for Grades K-12, ELAR teachers, Special Education Staff, Resource Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Interventionist, Campus Instructional Coaches, Administrators, and any Educators working with students in the area of ELAR.
Topics to Be Covered
- TEKS Figure 19 Strategies
- Close Reading Techniques
- Reading Resources
- Making Inferences
- Analyzing Authors' Craft for Purpose
- Writing About Reading
- The Four C's of Reading
- Literature Circles
- Teaching Students to Ask Questions
- Making Connections Within and Across Texts
- Summarization Strategies
- Helping Students Monitor Their Comprehension
- Reading for a Purpose
- Thinking Like an Author
- And Much More!
Top Ten Reasons to Attend
Expand Your Teacher Expertise1. Expand your knowledge of ALL Figure 19 comprehension strategies!
Rigorous Reading in Your Classroom
2. Explore instructional strategies for developing and deepening comprehension
Strengthening Your Student's Reading Proficiency
3. Learn inferencing, questioning, and connecting strategies to get students intentionally reading. Also explore authentic activities to get students reading rigorously.
4. Technology ideas that incorporate reading and writing about reading in new ways!
Ways to Monitor Comprehension
5. Explore ideas on how students and educators can monitor students comprehension.
6. Learn new tools to use when planning reading instruction.
Use Genre Knowledge to Support Understanding
7. Develop your knowledge of each genre, structures, elements, variations of text, and more!
Engage Students in Purposeful Practice
8. Explore techniques for incorporating strategy practice across the curriculum.
Build Your Student's Fluency
9. Learn how to incorporate fun fluency activities to boost students confidence and comprehension.
Writing To Respond to Reading
10. Discover how to use writing to strengthen reading comprehension. See templates, ideas, and activities for writing to respond to reading.
About Our Presenter
Register 3 or more staff members and receive a 10% discount. ($179.10 per person)
Principals & Assistant Principals attend FREE with the registration of 3 or more staff members.
You can register by Faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to
Kelly Harmon & Associates
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information please contact us today!
Comprehension Strategies Seminar
Wednesday, Jan. 11th 2017 at 8:30am
1110 Interstate 20 West
Wifi will be provided
Location is the Hampton Inn & Suites Arlington South
Agenda for the Day
8:30am - 12:00pm Morning Session
Lunch on Your Own
1:00pm-3:30pm Afternoon Session
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them