Washington High School Newsletter
Dear Warrior Families -
We have had a wonderful start to the 2021-22 school year. It was so wonderful to welcome all of our students back to school last week.
We want to celebrate some of our students who are involved in activities. They showed the Warrior Way in leadership by going to Anne Sullivan and welcoming their students to the start of a great year. Even the rain on the first day of school did not deter these student leaders from inspiring younger students. #warriorleadtheway
We are continually inspired by our students who show up each and every day, giving their best to encourage others. Please encourage your student to get involved in activities here at WHS. Being a part of a team or a group or a club has many positive benefits for the student and for the community. #warriorsareinvolved
We know that when students are present each day, they build connections and relationships with those around them that like and appreciate the same things. Students need to attend every class, every day to receive the most academic benefit. The end goal of high school is the diploma! When they are here every day, they have opportunities to be involved and get connected to other students. The advantages of good attendance are many!!!
The Sioux Falls School District knows attendance matters. The Attendance Matters! infographic from Assistant Superintendent, Dr. James Nold, illustrates the importance of daily attendance and the type of next steps you can expect if your student misses school.
As a school, we will use a variety of communication tools to get in contact with you to encourage your student to be in school. You may receive text messages, voicemails, emails - all in an effort to help you encourage your student to attend school and get connected to positive opportunities at school. #attendancematters.
The month of September ends with our Homecoming Week celebration, September 27 - October 1st. The Homecoming Variety Show and Coronation will be on Monday, September 27th at 6:00 p.m. in the auditorium. The Homecoming Football Game this year will be played on Thursday, September 30th at 6:00 p.m. versus the Brookings Bobcats. Students will receive additional information on dress up days and other fun events as we get closer to Homecoming week! #homecoming2021
Thank you for all you do as parents to positively encourage your student to be involved at school. Make it a great month!
Best regards ~
Kari Papke, Preston Kooima, Heidi Jorgenson, Nate Malchow
Find new schedules for: School day, 1 and 2 hour late start, semester test, In-Service & Tournaments.
New Counselor Alpha Assignment for 2021-2022 School Year
New Counselor Alpha Assignment for 2021-22 School Year
Jacob McDonald = A through COL
Jennifer Witt = COM through G
Shelli Wiese = H through LA
Tammy Nold = LE through OL
DeAndra McCarthy = OM through SO
Travis Sieber = SP through Z
Facebook = facebook.com/washingtoncounseling
Instagram = whs_counseling
Welcome new counselors
We are excited to announce that DeAndra McCarthy and Shelli Wiese are joining the WHS Counseling team! They bring a wealth of experience to Washington High School and are ready to meet students and parents. Welcome DeAndra & Shelli!
Activity Passes are $20.00. You may purchase them ahead of time by going to Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
View Chromebook information at:
Student Lunch Account
Deposit money into your student(s) lunch account or bring check or cash to Warrior Day on August 12th.
Student Lunch Account
Welcome back to a new school year where we believe you will see many new things from Child Nutrition Services. We are thrilled to share with you the fact all meals, Breakfast and Lunch, are FREE again this year. This makes it easier for your checkbooks and for all students.
Please note that if your child brings a lunch and wants to purchase a milk, there will be a $.40 charge for the milk. Want to avoid the milk charge? “Pick 3 Free” - If your child chooses a fruit and vegetable to go with the milk, federal rules say we can make that count as a meal and not be required to charge you for the milk.
Even though meals are free, we are encouraging families to complete the Free/Reduced application online if you believe you may qualify for the benefit. This will help you with some of the other discounts you have counted on in the past if you have that confirmation.
If your student is in Middle or High School and they wish to purchase Ala Carte’ items, money can be put on their accounts through My School Bucks or by sending money or check with them to put on the account. If they do not have any money on the account, extra items cannot be purchased. To keep the lunch lines moving, we would appreciate if the money is dropped off at the beginning of the day so it is available in your child’s account. Change will not be given in the serving lines; all money will be placed on the student account.
Passes are $50.00 (must have completed online registration and taken care of any missing items and/or fees).
Passes purchased in advanced may be picked up at Warrior Day.
For more information click on link at top of newsletter titled "Back to School Letter".
Once on the link, scroll down to see the prices and choose Morning Regular Route or Afternoon Regular Route to see stops or choose Visit the MAP.
free covid-19 vaccination clinics in september!
Talk with your health care provider to determine whether the vaccine is right for you and your child(ren).
2021 Presidents Bowl
Presidents Bowl Football Games
The 30th Annual Presidents Bowl will be held on Friday, September10 and Saturday, September 11, 2021 at Howard Wood Field. And, for the first time in Presidents Bowl history, it will feature 4 football games!
Friday, September 10
- Jefferson vs Rapid City Stevens – 4:00pm
- Lincoln vs Harrisburg – 8:00pm
Saturday, Sept 11
- Washington vs O’Gorman – 1:00pm
- Roosevelt vs Brandon – 5:00pm
Tickets will be sold in the fall at Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt High Schools. Contact your school's Booster Club to find out when tickets go on sale.
- Washington High School Booster Club
- Roosevelt High School Booster Club
- Lincoln High School Booster Club
- Jefferson High School Booster Club
Click here to find out more information about the cornhole tournament.
Click here to find out more information about the basketball tournament.
Home sweet homecoming
September 27-October 1
Subject to Change
Dress Up Days: Sports Day, Pajama Day, Tourist Day, USA Day and School Spirit
Variety Show 7 p.m. $5 per person
Coronation 8 p.m.
Varsity Football Game vs. Brookings at Howard Wood Field 6 p.m.
Lunchtime Pizza Feed, Music, Games, Variety Show
Warrior Block Party: Games, Music and Snacks time to be determined
2021 yearbook update
I know that many of you are wondering about distribution of the 2021 yearbook that you ordered. We did receive our shipment, but when we looked at the books, we discovered that Jostens had printed 16 pages from a high school in Ohio instead of our pages. They are reprinting our books, but I have not been given a target date for delivery. Once they arrive, we will announce that students should stop by my room to pick them up. Those who do not will have their books given to their 3rd period teachers once we get them sorted.
Thank you for your patience as we work through this unprecedented situation.
Washington High School
Journalism: newspaper & yearbook
American Film History
the warrior zone's september "deal of the month"
The Warrior Zone’s September “Deal of the Month” is 25% off all WHS headwear items. WHS headwear includes baseball hats, trucker hats, bucket hats, stocking caps and beanies. You can view the headwear items and all the rest of our products at www.whswarriorzone.weebly.com
21-22 Annual Student Information
- New Student Online Registration
- This option is open all year and should be used for new families/students to the district (for example, students that have never been enrolled with the district or those students that have left the district and are returning).
- For parents completing registration at home on a laptop or desktop, registration is done through the SFSD Website. (See attached document: 21-22 Online Registration Options, Online Registration - New Student)
- For parents completing registration on a student Chromebook, at the school, or with clerical assistance, registration is done through the Kiosk bookmark “Kiosk-New Student Registration”. (See attached document: Online Registration – Kiosk Options)
- Annual Student Information Update (Existing Students)
- This option is open May through September.
- For parents completing the annual update at home on a laptop or desktop, they should log into their parent portal account, select ‘More’ from the left index and then the “Annual Information Update” link display. (See attached document – 21-22 Online Registration Options, Online Registration – Existing Families)
- For parents completing registration on a student Chromebook, at the school, or with clerical assistance, registration is done through the Chromebook bookmark at the top left of the screen, named “Parent Portal Log-in”. (See attached document: Online Registration – Kiosk Options)
- Parents must be logged in as a parent to see their students. Logging in as a student or staff/teacher will not allow them to see their students or the annual information update link.
- Only Household A parent/guardians will be able to complete an annual update through Parent Portal.
- Household B parent/guardians will be able to access the Annual Student Information Update link within their Parent Portal, but will be given the following message once they open the link: “Online registration is not available at this time for the following reasons: You are not indicated as a guardian for an enrolled student, student is not residing in this household the greater portion of the school year, the account that is being used does not belong to a parent/guardian, an online application has already been submitted for this school year or annual student information updates are not being accepted at this time.”
- ITS will mail blue annual update forms to Household B parents in late July/early August.
- Annual Student Information Update with New Student Added (new Kindergarten student, new foster child, new guardianship, foreign exchange student, etc.)
- This option is open May through September.
- Parents with an active Parent Portal account should update their existing student(s) information following the existing student annual update instructions above. On the Student Tab, parent will have the option to “Add New Student” before submitting the application.
- *REMINDER: You will need to check the entire OLR for new students (including the Language Information pleat, previous schools pleat for IEP/504 information, etc.) on all new students added to the application.
Click on the link to view the Sioux Falls School District Parent Calendars