Sickle Cell Anemia

red blood cells are misshapen and break down.

Symptoms

Some of the symptoms of sickle cell anemia are

  • Anemia, lack of red blood cells
  • Episodes of pain
  • Hand-foot syndrome
  • Frequent infections
  • Delayed growth
  • Vision problems

Define

A genetic mutation that causes your red blood cells to become sickle or crescent moon shaped.


It's caused by one change in the genetic code for red blood cells

Inside the Body

Normally your red blood cells flow easily through your body, but with sickle shaped cells it's not as easy to flow through the veins. The sickled cells can cause clots, which cut off the blood supply. Also because the cells are sickled shaped and get stuck to small veins and cause pain throughout the body.

Treatments

There is no cure for sickle cell anemia.


Most treatments are pain medication, some times blood transfusions, and rarely bone marrow transplants.

Prevention

The disease is genetic so it is passed from parent to child. When both parents are carriers for the sickle cell disease, but do not have the disease, the children will have a 25% chance of having no sickle cell trait. Have a 50% chance of being a carrier. And have a 25% chance of having sickle cell anemia.
Big image
What is Sickle Cell Anemia? www.fudgefoundation.com

Bibliography

"Medical Searches on Google." - Search Help. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Dec. 2015. <https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2364942?p=medical_conditions&rd=1>.



"Sickle Cell Anemia." - Mayo Clinic. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Dec. 2015. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sickle-cell-anemia/basics/definition/con-20019348>.



"Sickle Cell Anemia: Learn About SCD Symptoms and Treatment." MedicineNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Dec. 2015. <http://www.medicinenet.com/sickle_cell/article.htm>.