Kings County Arts in Action
January 2023 Edition
Brought To You By Kings County Office of Education
Arts Education Throughout Kings County
Congratulations 2023 Honor Band Participants!
High School Honor Band
- Esmeralda Rubio Reyes, Hanford High School
- Phoenix Atilano, Lemoore High School
- Angela Estrada, Hanford West High School
- Eileen Hernandez, Hanford West High School
- Kayla McMath, Lemoore High School
- Matthew Rayburn, Hanford West High School
- Alexa Smith, Lemoore High School
- Dharma Vazquez, Lemoore High School
- Kayla Peak, Lemoore High School
- Timothy Berkenkamp, Lemoore High School
- Brandon Vasquez, Hanford West High School
- Abel Ramirez, Hanford West High School
- Masen Davis, Hanford West High School
- Oscar Luna Amaya, Hanford West High School
- Isabella Garcia, Sierra Pacific High School
- Fernando Medina, Hanford West High School
- Ryan Latham, Hanford West High School
- Makennah Callow, Hanford West High School
- Connor Buckley, Lemoore High School
- Hannah Fry, Lemoore High School
- Bryson Gonzales, Hanford West High School
- Jacob Rider, Hanford West High School
Middle School/Junior High Honor Band
- Sydney Bales - Liberty Middle School
- Gabriella Matteson - John F. Kennedy Junior High School
- Nora Donovan - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Andrea Rizo Tinoco - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Ivan Morales - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Eli Cabigao - Liberty Middle School
- Collin Belt - Jefferson Academy
- Buddy Brasel III - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Brenna Hull - Liberty Middle School
- Elizabeth Vonder Ahe-Cossey - Liberty Middle School
- Aurora Morshead - Liberty Middle School
- Zackary Ortuzar - Liberty Middle School
- Juan Valle - John F. Kennedy Junior High School
- Leo Amador - Liberty Middle School
- Aaron Lopez - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Joselyne Vega - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Nathan Durbin - Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
- Haddon Jay - Jefferson Academy
- Evan Valdeabella - Liberty Middle School
Hanford West Huskywood Program
"Huskywood" students enrolled in Advanced Video Production at Hanford West High School have entered into the production phase of their Creative Careers Leadership Lab (CCLL) short film challenge. Director and Screenwriter Joseph Aguirre listens in on the acting performance of Estaban Nava Nunez and Angel Zaragoza, while Director of Photography Jovanie Bello pulls focus between the two actors in an amazingly emotional story of brothers learning to move on after the loss of a parent. The small crew constructed a green screen surrounding the vehicle so the background can be replaced with street motion in post production, and a simple garden hose provided rain on demand to create a realistically sad rainy day. It's hard to tell as equipment is wrapped in plastic, however there are 3 cameras in place as well as additional lighting to help the actors pop on camera.
Short film challenges like this allow students to perform in front of a statewide audience, utilizing skills learned in class and extending into much larger projects than could even be attempted during a typical school day. CCLL is a Career and Technical Student Organization Pilot focusing on connecting students to careers in the field of Arts, Media, and Entertainment. Students have been able to meet with industry professionals remotely and receive coaching on meeting industry standards. For this project, students created original scripts and storyboards as part of their pre-production, and will complete their work editing in Adobe Premier Pro, an industry standard software. CCLL Challenge films will be showcased at the upcoming GRID conference in March.
Pioneer Middle School Pre-Break Arts
JC Montgomery CTE/Project Based Learning
Students enrolled at JC Montgomery have an opportunity to participate in a Multimedia Production Career Technical Education course. Recently, students created promotional videos for several nonprofits who frequently work with the students at JCM. Below is the promotional video they created for Urbanists Collective, a nonprofit dedicated to community engagement through the arts. The video students created can be seen below.
Hanford High Artists Develop Their Skills
- Art 1 shaded spheres with patterned backgrounds
- Art 2 students created portraits and achromatic paintings
- Art 3 created abstract watercolor designs using a variety of techniques
- Art 2 and 3 also created independently designed pieces as part of their finals
- Art 4 students selected a favorite artist and created pieces that emulated those artists
Hanford West Choir and Musical Theatre Programs Connect with the Community
Hanford West High School Choir and Musical Theatre served the community through song in several ways last semester:
- HW Musical Theatre students scared patrons at the Haunted House sponsored by the Hanford Chamber of Commerce in the Hanford Mall.
- The HW Choir sang at the the Grand Opening Ceremony of the new United Health Center in Hanford.
- During the holidays, HW Choir and Musical Theatre students performed at the Grand Opening of Hanford's Winter Wonderland, as well as, several holiday events throughout the city.
Corcoran High School Arts Exploration
Hanford High School Ceramics and Arts
- Art 1 students worked on Linear Perspective in a Haunted Environment
- Ceramics 1 students created whistles
- Ceramics 2 students created face and skull mugs
- AP Art 2 students designed artwork in pencil
Lemoore High School Winter Projects
In December, Entertainment Design students finished painting the set for A Christmas Carol, and held three performances in the Lemoore High School Auditorium. Drawing 2 students deepened their understanding of value and contrast with scratchboard art projects. In addition, they worked in groups to create storylines that became storyboards. Advanced Art students created surrogate self-portraits using objects that represent them and their interests. In preparation for the upcoming Young Masters competition, students also learned how to frame their artworks to make them gallery-ready.
Akers Medium and Techniques Study
Come Support Kings County Arts Programs!
Statewide Opportunities to Showcase Student Arts
Arts Resources for Educators
The Kings County Office of Education VAPA website has resources and information about the arts in Kings County.
Arts Framework Resources
CCSESA Arts Initiative has provided resources for arts educators to utilize as they navigate the newly adopted arts framework. Here is the link to access these resources.