George W. Bush and War on Terror
By: Sydney Gwyn
- He was President when 9/11 happened
- Sent American troops to the chaotic East African nation of Somalia.
- Destroyed al-Qaeda terrorist training camps.
- Disrupted al-Qaeda’s global operations and terrorist financing networks.
- Helped Afghans put aside long-standing differences to form a new interim government that represents all Afghans (including women)
War is the opponent either giving up or vanquishing, with some form or armistice or truce. War can have multiple meanings that are non-violent because it becomes a political term meaning mass mobilization. With the exception of volunteer soldiers and their families, the war is very distant for Americans.
- Saddam Hussein - George W. Bush was President while the Iraq War happened.
- Dick Cheney - He was the Vice President while George W. Bush was President
- Guantanamo Bay - The United States prison was located here, along with Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.
- Donald Rumsfeld - 13th and 21st United States Secretary of Defense while George W. Bush.