Valley Ridge Reader
VRA Media Center News - April 2020
School Library Month
Vote for Your Favorite SSYRA Book
Have you been reading the SSYRA and SSYRA Jr. books? The deadline for reading 3 SSYRA books in order to vote was March 27th but we have extended it to April 10. Please go to your grade level Schoology page starting April 6 and vote.
Students in grades 2-8 can now take SSYRA Book Taco Tests at home. You can still earn Brag Tags and we will mail them to you. Once you have read an SSYRA book and passed the Book Taco test, go to your grade level Schoology page and enter a photo or screenshot of your score under Discussions.
The deadline for reading all the books for the reward program is May 1st. There is a great selection of SSYRA books available online with MackinVia. We may not get an Ice Cream party this school year, but we will have another kind of reward coming your way, so stay tuned.
Media Center Schoology Groups K-8
Now that we are all working online, the media center has created 6 virtual classrooms in Schoology. They are called Groups, not Courses, because everything we do is for fun and not tied to grades. Most students are already enrolled in their grade level groups, but if you find that you are not, below are the names and links to the Media Center Groups. Click on the link and request to become a member. We will be host "Find a Book Friday" in these groups and a Middle School Book Club. This is also where students can vote for their favorite SSYRA books.
Our Numbers for March 2020
Number of Books Checked Out - 3,608
Number of E-books Viewed -76
Number of Class Visits - 40
Number of New Books and Magazines Added - 160
Most Check-outs by an Elementary Student - Trevor R. from Ms. Cally's Class - 22 Books
Most Check-outs by a Middle School Student - Matthew O. - 11 Books
Most Class Check-outs - Ms. Weiss - 173 Books
Most Check-outs by Grade Level - Fourth Grade - 837 Books
Middle School Check-outs - 162 Books
Most Professional Book Check-outs - Ms. Alvarado -1
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Ms. Hoffmann 72 Books
MackinVia Ebooks and Audio Books
We are so excited to have been given access to another 8,000 e-books on our MackinVia e-book platform. We have also added some favorite titles like Dogman! Click this link to go directly to MackinVia on any internet device.
At this link type in the location - Valley Ridge Academy and select. You will be directed to the Follett Destiny login page (blue and white). If you are not directed to this login, please click, Not My Location, refresh your screen and try again.
Login to MackinVia with your student number including the 's' and your district password (same as I-ready and HAC). Select an e-book or an audio book then download the book to your device. Read or listen to your story and enjoy.
If you can’t log-in into your account, you can go in as a guest, don’t choose a location, username - vra and password – hawks. Most books will work in this mode but you won't be able to check-out single user eBooks or download them for offline use.
On the go...download the MackinVia App on your phone or tablet. Same login.
Below is one of our new collections called April/Spring (these are also Groups but nothing to do with Schoology). Click on the image or previous link and enjoy some books for the season.
FREE INSTANT E-CARD SAINT JOHNS COUNTY LIBRARY
The St Johns County Public Library System (SJCPLS) is now offering county residents instant online eCard signup. If you don’t already have one, you can get a temporary library card, good for 60 days, to access the library’s online collection of eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming movies, music, digital magazines, and more.
Sign-up with this link:
SJCPLS has so many digital resources including some of our most popular titles. Use their Overdrive and Hoopla apps on your phone or computer.
Where to Find our Most Popular Books
SUNSHINE STATE YOUNG READER AWARD (SSYRA) BOOKS
SSYRA and SSYRA Junior books are on https://www.mackinvia.com
- Fly Guy - 2 titles in Epic https://www.getepic.com
- Mercy Watson -Tumble Books https://www.tumblebooklibrary.com/Home.aspx?categoryID=77 Username: tumble735 Password: books
- Phoebe & Her Unicorn – Books 1-10 are on Epic https://www.getepic.com
- Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog – and 3 other Mo Willems books -Storytime with Ryan & Craig https://www.ryanandcraig.com/#home-section
3rd -5th BOOKS
- 39 Clues – Epic has 23 titles in the series https://www.getepic.com
- Amulet – All 8 books on Overdrive from SJCPLS https://sjcpls.overdrive.com
- Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels - We have the books in MackinVia https://sjcsd.mackinvia.com/titles?page=1&limit=60&sort=11&keyword=baby-sitters%20club
- Big Nate - All the books along with bonus material and author videos can be found on Epic https://www.getepic.com
- Captain Underpants - Epic has 6 titles and a book about the author, Dav Pilkey https://www.getepic.com
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid - We have 4 titles on MackinVia https://www.mackinvia.com, Epic has the first 2 books in the series and 2 books about the author, Jeff Kinney https://www.getepic.com, SJCPLS Overdrive & Hoopla has the entire series https://sjcpls.org/econtent
- Dog Man – We have 8 books in MackinVia https://www.mackinvia.com, Overdrive & Hoopla, you might have to wait for this super popular series but be sure to place a hold on the book(s) you want https://sjcpls.org/econtent
- Geronimo Stilton - Tumble Book Library https://www.tumblebooklibrary.com/Result.aspx?m=Title&key=geronimo%20stilton
- Harry Potter – all books on SJCPLS Overdrive https://sjcpls.overdrive.com
- Land of Stories – Books 1-3 on MackinVia https://www.mackinvia.com, others in series on SJCPLS Overdrive https://sjcpls.overdrive.com
- Weird But True – MackinVia https://www.mackinvia.com and Epic https://www.getepic.com/
- Wings of Fire - Epic has 14 titles in the series https://www.getepic.com
MIDDLE SCHOOL BOOKS
World Book Early Learning is an interactive, engaging, playful environment which has games, printable activities and art, videos and topical content. https://www.worldbookonline.com/wbel/#/home user: vra password: hawks
For the illustrators - Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems is a video series where students can draw along with this popular author and illustrator of the Pigeon and Piggy & Gerald books https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30DCOgTGn_o
PBS Kids - A site where students can play games and watch videos based on PBS children's show characters https://pbskids.org/
Funbrain - A webside created for kids K-8 which offers hundreds of free interactive games, books, videos and printables with recommended ages for each. https://www.funbrain.com
Scholastic Home Base (for grades 3-6)
Scholastic’s Home Base is a safe and fun digital community for kids where kids can explore islands based on their favorite book series. Kids will love the trivia games, live chats with authors. Students will be asked to sign-up with an email address.
Dav Pilkey says, "Together we can get creative and have fun with some of your favorite characters from Dog Man and Captain Underpants! Check back every Friday to discover new activities, exciting videos, and so much more"
SSYRA Readers 3-5
Grades 3-5 Those Who Have Read All 15
Ava I.........................................Sophia I.
Joshua N.................................Xavier P.
John I......................................Sree A.
Evangeline W..........................Mariia R.
Kira S.......................................J.C. A.
Trevor R...................................Danielle P.
Maia P......................................Alex H.
Nathan L..................................Ethan M.
For more information and a list of books, visit the VRA Media Website or our Schoology Media Center pages. Names updated at the beginning of the month.
Happy Birthday to our Book Club Hawks!
Birthday Book Club
The Valley Ridge Academy Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth. To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardcover book (not a board book). This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves.
The following is included with your enrollment;
- A special book plate placed inside the front cover of the donated book with your child’s name and birthday.
- A photo will be taken of your child with the book he/she chooses and will be displayed in the media center and online in the Valley Ridge Reader. This photo will be sent home with your child at the end of the year to keep and enjoy.
- Your child will be the first to read and/or check-out the book that he/she
donated!For more information, contact the media center or fill out the form attached below.
Valley Ridge Academy Media Center
The mission of the library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas, information and technology. Creating a foundation for lifelong learning and a love of reading is at the heart of our program.