Northern Hills Library News
Happenings from October 2017
Over the summer, the library received many exploratory learning materials purchased using bond monies. For the month of October after story time, the lower grade students were able "test drive" many of them. We set out Legos, Straws & Connectors, Magatiles and Keva Planks. Each week they were to try a different station. All of the stations focused on building and creating things. Their creations were fantastic and imaginative!
Literary Pumpkin Patch
The library held their annual Literary Pumpkin Contest. This is a classroom competition where the entries are to be made in the likeness of a literary character. We had a huge selection of seventeen entries! The judges had a very difficult time choosing the top three. The grand prize winner was "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" from Mrs. Garcia's AM PK class and the two honorable mention winners were "Rump" from Mrs. Villarreal's 5th grade class and "The Big Hungry Bear" from Ms. Preis' kindergarten class. The grand prize winner will get an extra recess and the two honorable mention winners get an extra storytime in the library.
Fun Stuff In The Library!
- We began checking out the Nexus eReaders to the 5th graders. We currently have 12 available for check out. The students were also given instruction on how to use the Overdrive app.
- Speaking of Overdrive, we had an Overdrive reading challenge over the three day weekend for Columbus Day. Students could earn a free Whataburger kids meal. Due to that incentive and a push for Overdrive our campus had 300 Overdrive checkouts for the month! Keep on reading and checking out those books on Overdrive!
- We had character dress up day in honor of Red Ribbon Week. There were many dressed up as Mrs. Hinton's favorite character, Harry Potter!
- 21 instructional days.
- Total items checked out 3,053
- 300 Overdrive Checkouts
- 64 total classes taught. Classes focused on magnets, exploratory learning materials, Halloween stories and Book Fair preview.
- 23 classes came in for check out only.
- 348 walk-ins
Fall Book Fair, Miss Anastasia, storyteller, Thanksgiving Break Reading Challenge, Third Grade Magnet Science Stations
Don't forget about using Overdrive to check out ebooks!
Follow us on Twitter! N Hills @librarycockers