Art, Guidance, Library, Music, P.E., and Spanish
Creative Artists at Work!
Kindergarteners experimented with chalk and collage, and 3rd and 4th graders have been sewing pillows and beginning embroidery. Notice music connections in Kindergarten (Carnival of the Animals artworks), 1st (Songs written about their bug artworks), 2nd (Soundscapes responding to their stories & characters), and 4th grade (Pictures at an Exhibition interpretations)!
Sharing our art!
Summer Enrichment Opportunities
Please make sure you look at the list of Summer Enrichment Classes that are available in Fort Thomas! https://www.fortthomas.kyschools.us/Content2/228
Here are some other local sources that offer classes:
Kennedy Heights Arts Center - https://kennedyarts.org
Family Programs at the Cincinnati Art Museum http://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/events-programs/families-teens/family-programs/
Baker Hunt - http://bakerhunt.org/courses/
UC DAAP Saturday Art – http://daap.uc.edu/community/saturday-art (For fall - A great program that ends with an Art Show at UC)
Brazee Street Studios http://www.brazeestreetstudios.com/collections/kids-classes (glass art)
Young Rembrandts – http://www.youngrembrandts.com/northernky-southwestoh/view-classes-enroll/ (step by step drawing, builds visual vocabulary)
Creativities - http://www.artsandcreativities.com (textiles)
Art Workshop at Queen City Clay - http://www.theartworkshopinc.net
The Children’s Art Academy http://www.thechildrensart.com/index.html
Color Me Mine - http://www.crestviewhills.colormemine.com
Don’t forget to try to visit the Cincinnati Art Museum, the Unmuseum at the Contemporary Art Museum, and the Taft Museum of Art – we have some amazing art museums nearby.
Johnson’s Annual Career Fair was a HUGE SUCCESS!!! We had seven parents join us to speak about their careers and how they got to where they are!
- Lisa Autrey, Chemical Engineer
- Artie Spaw, Architect
- Angela Norman, Computer Programmer
- Annie Varland, Professional Photgrapher
- Collin Shadwell, Artist
- Josh Klosterman, Cincinnati Firefighter
- Genius Hour- Students in 5th grade chose a topic of their choice to study and teach to others. We had students researching various topics from baking, to ER Doctors, to sewing!
- Bugs- First grade students have been working in library, music, and art to research, create a song, and an artwork about a bug of their choice. Then students created a video using the Clips app and Green Screen by Do Ink to share what they had learned.
- Stories- Second grade students have created a main character, a story, and a story scape in library, art, and music. Students were super creative and worked so hard through the entire writing process!
Have a great summer!
Library Media Specialist
OverDrive Sora App
I hope everyone has a wonderful summer!
Our culminating unit for elementary Spanish is writing a simple story in Spanish, collaborating with Art to illustrate the book, and then next week we will read to a kindergarten class! The kids have done an amazing job! I can't wait to see the kindergartners get so excited to have the 5th grade read to them!