The Baby Boomer Generation Market
About the Baby Boomers
After WWII, America changed from a poor economic and depressing time, to an era of hope and prosperity. More babies were born than ever before and the idea of suburban life and white picket fences appealed to most Americans. These babies became known as the Baby Boomers and were raised in a time of economic growth and cultural change.
What This Means for Marketing
- Market includes 76 million people from this generation
- This generation spends $400 billion more on average per year than the other generations
- People over the age of 50 have $2.3 trillion in annual spending power
- Control 70% of all the discretionary income
How to Reach Them
- They don't consider themselves old, so target their youthfulness
- They are at different stages of life with different family statuses from kids at home to single to grandparents, so they can't all be targeted the same
- They have a great work ethic and ambition
- They know the value of advertising so be straight forward
- With money to spend, they are focused on quality products and less on the price
- Wilson, Elizabeth. "Know Your Target Market." Entrepreneur. 19 June 2009. 19 Sept. 2014. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/202334.
- Green, Brent. "Marketing and Advertising to Baby Boomers." Marketing and Advertising to Baby Boomers. Brent Green & Associates, n.d. Web. 19 Sept. 2014. http://marketingtoboomers.com/.
- "Baby Boomers." History.com. A&E Television Networks, 2010. Web. 19 Sept. 2014. <http://www.history.com/topics/baby-boomers>.