Back to School Night
Ms. Shapiro's 1st Grade Class
• D.E.A.R. Time: Drop Everything and Read!
• Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears “Where do you start your letters…at the top!”
• Phonics, Grammar, & Shared Reading
• Word Work: Making Words, Active Spell, Word Scramble/Wheel of Fortune, 2nd Semester Spelling Tests
• Guided Reading & Literacy Centers
• Writer’s Workshop
• Prompt Writing
1st Grade Assessments
- Monthly assessment: fun, quick early reading assessment while educators get the data they need to help students grow.
- Adjusting to each student’s ability, the interactive assessment keeps developing readers engaged while they work through fun activities.
TPRI (Texas Primary Reading Inventory)
- Students are evaluated as:
- Still Developing
DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment)
- Measures reading comprehension and fluency
*Required by the district.
Tentative Trips for 2017-18
October- Discover Hill at Austin's Science and Health Resource Center
November- Paramount Theatre- "Pinkalicious"
March- Austin Rodeo
April- Sweet Berry Farm- "Berry Fun" Trip
May- Austin City Zoo
Volunteers in the Classroom
Details of Kinds of Work Needed:
- Check Volunteer Box
- Take items home to cut, staple, etc..
- Send in Weekly Snack for the class
- Volunteer in the Classroom
- Holiday Celebrations
- Chaperone Field Trips
- Literacy Centers M-Th 11:30am-12:30pm
- Math Centers T-Th 8:30-9:15am
- Computer Lab F 2:00-2:45pm
Wish List: http://tinyurl.com/shapirowishlist
AISD Health Policies
Email is the best communication but you can also send me notes, call and catch me in person.
- Please keep me informed, never hesitate to call or email me about anything!
- You are your child's best advocate!