Counselor's Corner November 2014
Laura Arrington-Rose, Professional School Counselor
High School Articulation Update
6th-8th grade students participated in our mini high school fair held at O'Keeffe on November 5th. Each school provided an overview of their programs and invited 8th grade students who were interested to stop at their tables to obtain additional information.
Schools in attendance:
South Shore International - Selective Enrollment (SE) and Career and Technical Education Programs (CTE)
Chicago High School for the Arts (CHIArts) - College Prep and Arts Programs
Noble Street Charter Schools (Charter) Gary Comer, Baker, Johnson)
Chicago Military Academy - College prep with a military model
Daniel Hale Williams - Medical Careers
Hyde Park Career Academy - International Baccalaureate® (IB) and CTE Programs
Epic Academy (Charter)
Urban Prep (Charter)
Wendell Phillips High School (AUSL) High School
Leo Academy High School (Private)
Check list for high school planning
November 12 - Report card pick up (Provide a copy of your child's report card for the counselor. Some schools require this information is submitted with the application.)
November 22nd is the last November test date for students who are eligible for selective enrollment. Students should bring their eligibility letter to school to ensure they can apply to get their results within 3 weeks.
Be on time for any required testing for selective enrollment high schools. It is recommended that you arrive at least 15-30 minutes earlier and bring your entry letter.
Attend Open House opportunities at high schools you are interested in.
Go to www.chooseyourfuture.org to find open house dates.
Get your results from the selective enrollment exam and use your total points information to apply to selective enrollment high schools where you meet the total points criteria.
To provide exposure to Career and Technical Education programs as well as Charter options, 2 field trips are scheduled this month.
November 19 - Dunbar High School
November 24 - Baker College Prep
Parents are invited to participate in both of these opportunities.
Upcoming Open House Dates
November 12, 2014
- 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Bronzeville Scholastic High School -- Open House
November 15, 2014
- 10:00 AM - : CICS Chicago Quest -- Open House
- 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM: Harlan Academic Center -- Open House
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: RTC Medical Prep -- Open House
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: South Shore International High School -- Open House
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: South Shore Intl College Prep High School -- Open House
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Wells Community Academy High School -- Open House
November 19, 2014
- 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Schurz High School Open House
November 20, 2014
- 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM: Wells Community Academy High School -- CTE Investigation Day
- 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM: Williams Prep High School -- Open House
- 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Hancock College Prep -- Open House
November 22, 2014
- 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Farragut Career Academy -- Open House