BCIT MEDFORD NEWSLETTER
The new year is upon us and we are already to begin the second semester at Medford. Students and teachers are preparing for their first semester final exams and anticipating their new courses which will begin on February 4th! Please be sure to review the District Calendar link below. Hopefully, we can get through the winter with no school closures due to Mother Nature.
Credit Make Up sessions are in full swing with only a handful of sessions left. Be sure to review with your son/daughter any attendance concerns that you may have. Also, please contact your child's guidance counselor if you have any questions.
Scheduling for next year will be begin soon, so please discuss with your child their post secondary plans. BCIT provides our students several different options upon graduation, so it is never too early to have the discussion with your child and their guidance counselor.
The second semester is filled with student events and activities, so be sure to visit the school calendar for important dates and events. Our web page has changed but the all the vital information that you need is still located on our page (it just may have moved???). As always, feel free to contact our staff for any questions that you may have regarding your child’s education.
SNOW CLOSURES & DELAYS
Parents & Guardians - Back to School Night is Coming Soon!
The Burlington County Institute of Technology, Medford Campus, will be hosting a “Back-to-School Night” on Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 6:00pm. Only academic staff will be present for the event as the CTE staff have been schedule for other evening events.
SCHEDULE FOR BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
HR 6:00 p.m. – 6:05 p.m.
BLOCK 1 6:05 p.m. – 6:20 p.m.
BLOCK 2 6:25 p.m. – 6:40 p.m.
BLOCK 3 6:45 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
BLOCK 4 7:05 p.m. – 7:20 p.m.
This evening will be focused on the academic courses, as the CTE staff will not be in attendance. Parents are welcome to have light refreshments in the cafeteria during any blocks that your son/daughter is scheduled for a CTE course or only simply attend the academic classes that they are currently scheduled.
Example: Sophomore student does not have an academic class until 3rd block, the parent can report to campus at 6:45pm for blocks 3 & 4.
Every student is expected to be in school every day, all day.
- Should the student be absent in excess of six unexcused days per semester, then he/she will be placed on non-credit status.
- Students who exceed a total of nine or more days with excused or unexcused absences from school for the semester will not be eligible for noncredit remediation, and may be referred to the Superintendent for consideration for referral to the Board of Education for action.
- Partial absences caused by lateness to school or early departure from school will be counted toward non-credit. Each partial absence will be equal to at least .25 of a day. Four (4) such partial absences shall equal one (1) day absence for the purpose of non-credit.
- All excused absences require written documentation to verify the nature of the absence. Parent letters excusing a student for attendance purposes are not acceptable. Medical notes need to be from a medical professional. Please review the policy below regarding approved excused days. If your son/daughter is dealing with a prolonged medical issue, please communicate with your guidance counselor and we can work together to develop a plan.
If your student has been placed on non-credit status please see the makeup schedule below. You may contact your child's guidance counselor for further information.
REMAINING CREDIT MAKE UP DATES
~BCIT MEDFORD STAFF MEMBERS OF THE YEAR~
BCIT SUCCESSFUL GRADUATE OF THE YEAR
BCIT is now taking nominations for the 2020 Successful Graduate of the Year. The winner will be honored at the Spring Program Advisory Committee Dinner/Meeting on March 18, 2020 at the Westampton Campus. A successful graduate of the year will be honored for each of the following programs: BCIT Westampton High School; BCIT Medford High School; and BCIT Adult Education program.
Nominees must have graduated as part of the class of 2015 or prior. They must also be working in their career major field or a related field.
Nominations are due by February 10, 2020 (see link below)
Take a moment to nominate yourself or another great BCIT graduate, we would love to celebrate BCIT success stories!
NTHS Induction Ceremony January 7th
GREAT JOB MEDFORD ACADEMY OF PERFORMING ARTS
SCHOOL COUNSELING CENTER - START OF SEMESTER 2
Just a reminder as we begin Semester 2; any changes to student schedules after the start of the second semester will only be considered for the following reasons:
· A data or statistical error in the schedule, i.e., two subjects in one period, no lunch, wrong grade level for English, etc.
· To meet graduation requirements or mandated program requirements.
· If student failed with scheduled teacher in the previous year and another teacher is available. Where necessary, such changes will be made at counselor discretion, and only after extensive review of the circumstances.
· Improper program/level placement, i.e., student is not in the course(s) as indicated on the course request form.
In all cases, except a clerical or data error, parental permission or parental awareness is necessary in writing before any change can be made. No course may be dropped after the first interim report is issued. Students may not transfer out of any class after four (4) weeks from the beginning of the semester course and after nine (9) weeks from the beginning of a full year course.
TESTING IN FEBRUARY
We will be administering the ASVAB again on February 5, 2020 to give our students an additional opportunity to fulfill their graduation requirement. Please encourage your son or daughter to take advantage of the online practice tests in preparation for the test.
The Accuplacer is being administered on February 5, 2020. If your child has registered, please encourage him/her to take advantage of the online practice tests in preparation for the test.
SAT & ACT REMAINING TEST DATES 2020
Our Winter Sports season is in full swing and our teams are participating in various competitions and games across the state. All student-athletes wishing to participate in athletics at Medford Tech must register online. Please check the athletics website regularly for important registration information. All physicals must be submitted to the Nurse's Office at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the sports season in order to participate. The next 2 dates for sports physicals in Nurse Baptiste's office are February 11th and March 10th.
Please come out and support our Jaguar Athletic Teams. The bowling team competes at Medford Lanes. The boys and girls basketball and cheerleading teams compete in the gymnasium on campus.
Any senior student-athlete wishing to compete in the NCAA Division I or II must complete an application through the NCAA Clearinghouse. Click HERE to register. You must complete this process to receive any type of athletic scholarship money! Student athletes are reminded to send their SAT and ACT test scores to the Eligibility Center by entering the code “9999” in the box when registering for the tests. Any senior student-athlete wishing to compete in the NAIA level must register through the NAIA Eligibility Center. Click HERE to register. You must complete this process to receive any type of athletic scholarship money!
STUDENT ACTIVITY ORGANIZATIONS
BCIT-Medford offers a wide range of student activity organizations. We recommend and encourage all students to become involved in at least one club/organization. Feel free to contact the staff advisors and see how you can become involved. Additional information may be found on the school website under Student Life.
- Used for general payments for student fines (replacement IDs, damaged textbooks, etc.)
- Used for special activities and clubs
- Lunch payment should not be made on MSB (see info below)
To make an online payment pleasecreate a MySchoolBucks account. Then find your product and make a payment. We encourage all students to make their payments via MySchoolBucks.
MEDFORD TECH APPAREL
Please check out our online spirit wear store to get your Medford Tech apparel. It can be customized for any academic, career major content area, club/activity or athletic team. The items are shipped directly to your house.