The Discovery News
From Mrs. Bates
Dear Discovery Ridge Families,
The first week of March is National STEM week! I wanted to share with you efforts that are being made this month to celebrate science, technology, engineering and math. First, a huge thank you to all of our young scientists who participated in the annual science fair! The projects were of such high quality! On March 2nd, the school community is invited watch the STEM Olympics at Liberty High School from 5:00-8:00 p.m. in which many of our Stars will be competing.
At DRE, we are creating a STEAM (includes art) lab that will house materials for hands-on, project-based learning in the classroom. These areas are called Makerspaces and encourage Stars to design, experiment, build and invent. Examples include cardboard construction, computer coding, robotics, electronics, and machine building. You can help by participating in the TJ’s pizza fundraiser or contributing items such as Legos, old electronics that can be disassembled, new electronics, and craft supplies.
We greatly appreciate your support of our students as they prepare for their future!
- March 1st- Hats on Day
- March 3rd- PTO Meeting 6:30 p.m. in the DRE library
- March 11th- EARLY RELEASE K-12 (K-4 @ 1:35 p.m. 5th grade @ 1:50 p.m.)
- March 11th- PTO Movie Night
- March 15th- Spring Concert for 1st grade (Lunders, Kuhn, Reilly, and Kliethermes)
- March 16th- Spring Concert for 1st grade (Hale, Hubbard, Kilroy, and Bryant)
- March 17th- Parent Teacher Conferences (held if teacher or parent request)
- March 18th- NO SCHOOL
- March 21st-25th- Spring Break
- April 1st- MAP Pep Rally
- April 7th- PTO meeting 6:30 p.m. in the DRE library
- April 21st- Talent Show Try Outs 3:45 p.m.
- April 29th- 4th quarter progress reports come home
Family Fun Night
DRE Rock Stars Support Jump Rope For Heart!
Valentines for Veterans
Order your MAP sweatband today!
Readers Are Leaders!
~ Marilyn Jager Adams, child development expert
Check out these great reading websites and Apps:
*First Word Sampler
Contact us today with your questions, celebrations, or to volunteer!
Laura Bates, Principal
Laurie Zaleuke, Assistant Principal
Jessica Karll, Admin Intern