The Hero News
Hero Happenings 0/0/23
This week at Centennial 08/28/23
- 08/26 9am at CA Sports Physicals available. $20 cash only. Sign up HERE. Sports Physical Forms are HERE
- 8/29 6-7pm in the Cafetorium Parent University, PTA General Body Meeting, State of the School Address. There will be meals available for purchase, as well as spiritwear and PTA gear.
- 08/29 at 10 am Celebrated children's author Jason Reynolds is visiting (virtually) with Atlanta students. 183 scholars in 14 classrooms from CA will participate in the virtual visit with award winning author Jason Reynolds as we anticipate the release of his latest middle school novel Stuntboy, In Between Time which is the sequel to Stuntboy, In the Meantime.
- 08/30 6pm at Grant Park, Cross Country Meet
- Emerging Legends Blazer Fitting has begun
- Convocation Practice starts this Friday, Aug 25, 2023
- 08/31 Convocation-Families of 8th Grade Scholars may attend-
- Cheer practice: Monday and Wednesday 3:15-4:15pm
- Flag Football practice: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 4-6pm
- Volleyball practice: Monday and Wednesday 3-4:30pm and Friday 3-4pm
- Cross Country practice: Monday and Wednesday 3-4:30pm
Time: 10 AM
Where: Ferst Center, Georgia Tech
News from our Legend Building Leadership
Greetings Centennial Academy Heroes,
As the first month of school comes to a close, I want to thank all of our families for assisting us in starting the year off strong. You did this by arriving on time, having your scholar in proper uniform, and sending them to school prepared to learn. This strong start has set us up for success and will carry us through the remainder of the year. We appreciate your partnership.
Convocation for our 8th-grade Emerging Legends is scheduled for Thursday, August 31, 2023 at 10 AM. This Centennial Academy tradition charges our 8th-grade scholars to go into the world and be exemplary models of what a consequential citizen looks and sounds like.
By accepting the Blue Centennial Academy Blazer, scholars are committing to live out Centennial's Core Values of Excellence in Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, and Critical Thinking.
This is a big day for our scholars and our school. Let’s provide them with all of the love and encouragement they need to see it through with success.
More tidbits of Information:
If you have not completed the technology agreement form, please do so as soon as possible. Scholars cannot use a device or the school’s internet without this form! This form is required for all scholars.
Thank you for all that you do. Let’s continue to strive for greatness each day.
Mr. Cedric Thorbes, M. Ed
Assistant Principal, The Upper Academy
Average Daily Attendance
Average Daily Attendance Goal is 94%
September is Attendance Awareness Month!
Highlight from the Halls
Our First Leadership Day is on the Way!
Leadership Day is a tradition where we celebrate the Academic success of our scholars. We hold this celebration on a monthly basis. Scholars and Staff wear their formal leadership attire. Please see the diagram for examples. The coveted Hero of the Month award goes to scholars exhibiting the HERO traits on a daily basis. We also award classroom trophies to classes that work together to read and earn Accelerated Reader, AR, points, Liveschool points, and Perfect Attendance. We use this day to teach our scholars how to become Leaders through taking accountability in their Leadership Notebooks. New this year, we will also have Synergy Squads where scholars will participate in various activities to enhance their learning potential. Our first Leadership Day is a special Convocation to celebrate our Emerging Legends, 8th grade scholars, with the Blue Coat ceremony.
Media Center Mentions
Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
We are looking for motivated, competitive readers to represent Centennial in this year’s Helen Ruffing Reading Bowl. Team practices will start in September, but the list of required books is here, and scholars can get a head start on reading. Any scholar in 4th & 5th grade is welcome to the club, but only 10 scholars will be able to compete in the bowl in January 2024.
- We will be using Accelerated Reader again this year to support our scholars’ reading progress. Nearly every children's book in the world is available for practice quizzes! We will help scholars choose “good fit” books when they visit the media center. Scholars can take quizzes on nearly anything they read, but only during school hours 7:30am-4:00pm.
Helpful Links and Information
- Covid Testing: We are not conducting school-wide testing this year. If you suspect your scholar, or someone in your household has Covid please follow these steps:
Get tested at your Pediatrician
If the test is positive, please use the APS self reporting tool
Please follow all your doctor's instructions, and request a note stating when it is ok to return to school
Notify your scholar's teacher and the attendance department
- Contact the School Nurse for a free Covid Test Kit: email@example.com She will provide a pick it up time between 8am-1pm within 24hrs.
- Guideline for Keeping Your Scholar Home Due to Illness
- Reporting Absences: Report a scholar's absence using the new preferred method, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conditional Enrollment Documents: If you received a 30-day conditional enrollment, submit documents to email@example.com
- Immunization Reminder: Ensure your scholar's immunizations are current by consulting your pediatrician.
- Stay Updated: If you change your residence, phone number, or email, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our very own HERO Educator, Ms Hall, has been coaching with the Girls on the Run program for several years. Girls on the Run is so much more than running. Their tested curriculum blends physical activity with skill development that enables girls to adapt to whatever comes their way. Girls on the Run understands the important connection between physical activity and overall emotional health. Trained volunteer coaches guide girls through research-based lessons which creatively integrate movement in a fun and motivating way. By signing your girl up for Girls on the Run, you are giving her the opportunity to connect, grow and learn how to navigate difficult situations.
The fall season registration lottery is open through Wednesday, September 20: girlsontherun.
Their meeting team’s days and times are: Mondays and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30 beginning the week of September 11. The program is for girls in 3rd through 5th grade. Spots are limited to a maximum of 15 girls. Please sign up today!
Girls on the Run fees range from $0 - $225 and are on a sliding scale based on household income and household size so that every girl who wants to participate can.
For more information and to register, visit girlsontherunatlanta.org/programs.
You may also contact, Erika Hall, Site Liaison at email@example.com for questions.
A huge thank you to Our Partners! They help us bring the world into our classrooms, and bring our scholars out into the world!