Henry Hawk News
Week of January 9, 2023
Dear Henry Hawk Families,
We hope you had a wonderful winter break and are just as excited as we are to start school tomorrow. This Wednesday, we will distribute the 2nd Quarter Report Cards.
Please don't forget to have your child take the COVID-19 Antigen Test that was distributed before winter break. If your child does test positive, please be sure to report it using the following website: cps.edu/covidresults
We will send out additional updates tomorrow.
Happy New Year!
Juan Gutierrez, Principal
Mary Ann Reynolds, Assistant Principal
IN THE HENRY HAWK NEWS THIS WEEK
Covid Testing Signup
Parent Portal (Aspen)
Henry Student/Parent Handbook 2022-2023
COVID Testing Signup
CPS offers free weekly COVID-19 testing for students and staff in all District-run schools. Sign up for weekly testing for the 2022-23 school year through the ReadyCheckGo Testing Program.
IMPORTANT: Every CPS student or staff member who wants to enroll in weekly COVID-19 testing for the 2022-23 school year MUST complete a new consent form. Consents from last school year or this summer WILL NOT be valid for the 2022-23 school year.
To sign up for COVID testing, please go the following link: https://www.color.com/cust/readycheckgo-cps
You will need to search "Henry" for the school.
Parent Portal (Aspen)
Use the Parent Portal to easily and conveniently check grades, attendance, and other information about your student's progress. Need to learn how to set up Parent Portal? Contact the Main Office at 773-534-5060 or click on the link above.
New Feature on Aspen
An exciting new feature is coming to the Aspen Parent Portal on October 24, 2022. E-Absence will allow parents and guardians to submit and track your student’s absences online. That means no more making last-minute phone calls or completing paper forms.
E-Absence joins a lineup of features that are already available on the Aspen Parent Portal to manage your student’s school experience. Sign in to your account at ASPEN.CPS.EDU for features including:
- Checking Assignments
- Viewing Grades
- Tracking Attendance
- Paying Fees
To access Parent Portal, you must:
- Be listed as a contact for your student in the Student Information System.
- Have a valid email in the student’s contact records.
- Request and submit the validation code sent via email.
Don’t have an account? Contact the main office to register for an account today. You can also learn more at cps.edu/pages/parentresources.aspx.
Close contacts will no longer be excluded from school. Any student or staff member who is exposed to COVID-19 in school — regardless of vaccination status — will no longer be required to learn or work from home for five days, but will be required to wear a mask in school for 10 days following exposure, and will be strongly encouraged to test three and five days after exposure. CPS will provide schools with rapid take-home tests to distribute to families and staff members if they are exposed, and we will strongly encourage families to use them in order to prevent spread and ensure a safe in-person learning environment.
Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days. Cases should continue to be reported to cps.edu/covidresults
Wearing a mask is still an important way to prevent spreading the virus to others. CPS will continue to strongly recommend masking in school, and masks will continue to be required in the following situations:
On days 6-10 after testing positive for COVID-19
If someone is exposed to COVID-19
If there is a positive case identified in an elementary school classroom
At the direction of the Chicago Department of Public Health.
CPS will continue to offer free, weekly in-school COVID-19 testing to students and staff who are interested. Importantly, anyone who wants to enroll in testing this year will need to fill out an updated consent form — regardless of whether or not individuals participated in weekly testing last year. That updated consent form can be accessed here. Parents or guardians must register on behalf of a student under 18 years old. When you’re asked to enter an Organization ID, use your child’s 8 digit CPS Student ID which can be found on Aspen's parent portal or ask your child's teacher.
- All visitors, including parents, visiting a school must behave appropriately and adhere to school rules and visitor protocol while on CPS property. Every visitor must check in at the security check-point at the main entrance (Door #2). The security officer will ask for a valid state ID or driver's license from the visitor. If a state ID or driver's license is not available, the security officer will check in the visitor by manually typing their information into the Visitor Management System (VMS). Visitors who fail or refuse to provide valid identification or other identifying information will not be allowed entry into the building.
- Once a visitor has been checked into the VMS, the visitor will receive a badge that must be visibly worn and escorted throughout the building during their visit. Visitors who do not wear their badge must be redirected to the security check-point. If a parent seeks to visit a classroom to observe their child, the parent should request permission from the teacher and/or school staff to discuss appropriate times and days. This notification must be done at least 24 hours prior to their visit.