4th Grade Happenings: Week 16
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of December 15, 2014
WELCOME TO THE 4TH GRADE!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- review of 9 week skills
- Sitton List 13 - to be tested on THURSDAY this week due to break
- Skill 1: suffixes
- Skill 2: homophones
- Place Value & the Standard Algorithm
- following routes on a historical map
Science: Making Connections
- car & ramp inquiry
- Expository #1: My Favorite Season
- Grammar: comparative vs. superlative adjectives
OUR CURRENT WEEK
If you have volunteered to contribute an item to our holiday party, THANK YOU! You may send it in at any time this week. We have a place to store refrigerated items on campus, so you may send cold things in ahead of time.
Monday 12/15 -
- purple specials day - Beasley library - DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- math homework sheet is due Wednesday due to the lengthy amount
- reading homework due (logged online by 5:00 Sunday 12/14 or handwritten summary & minutes read turned in during class today)
- red specials day
- please let your child's homeroom teacher know if you would prefer that your child NOT see any of the movies below (see "Holiday Party Information" section below)
Wednesday 12/17 -
- orange specials day
- yellow specials day
- reading & spelling homework due (early due to short week)
- Spell Check over Sitton List 13 in class (early due to short week)
- pajama drive ends
- green specials day
- Class Party - 10:30 - 11:30
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Our Town website under "Specials Schedule".
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italics below.
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2
- Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- Reagan Spelling Bee in MPR - 6:00 pm. For more information, see below.
- End of Second Nine Weeks
Monday & Tuesday 2/2 & 2/3
- Staff February Conference - NO SCHOOL for students (please note, it is a 2 day break this year, vs. the 3 day break from past years
- NO MATH HOMEWORK THIS WEEK
- Online Reading Log & Questions - 40 minutes reading and online homework on website due Thursday 12/18; if you would prefer to turn in a hard copy, read 40 minutes and write a short BME (beginning-middle-end) summary on a piece of looseleaf paper. Three to five sentences, no more necessary.
- Sitton List 13 - Spell Check on Thursday 12/18 due to holiday party
- no spelling worksheet this week
Holiday Party Information - Friday, December 19th
Our students can't WAIT for the upcoming holiday party! There's a lot going on in Our Town that day; here's some information you may find helpful:
PENNY GIFT EXCHANGE - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 19th
We will be celebrating on Friday, December 19th with a holiday party and a Penny Gift Exchange. Students are able to bring in a SMALL trinket type gift. This should NOT be something expensive, but rather something simple - for example, pencil cap erasers, pencils, piece of wrapped candy, sticker, etc - for each student in his/her homeroom. The morning of our party, students will exchange trinkets (much like a Valentine's card exchange). Gifts do not need to be wrapped or labeled to/from. *There are 22 students in both Mrs. Beasley's homeroom and Mrs. LaCombe's homeroom; students are only to bring in penny christmas trinkets for their homeroom, not both classes.* Please understand that participation is optional; students do not have to bring in gifts.
HOLIDAY PARTY - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 19
10:30 - 11:30
Our class holiday party will be on Friday, December 19th from 10:30 - 11:30 in our classrooms. We will be making a snowman craft and enjoying some snacks. Please be on the lookout for some donations we will need to help make this event a success; you should be receiving an email sometime this week. Parents are more than welcome to join us; we'd love to have you! Please remember to check in at the office, and parking will be limited on campus, so Gupton Stadium will be available for parking if necessary. If you're leaving early on your holiday travels and wish to take your child with you when you go, please be sure to let either Mrs. Beasley or Mrs. LaCombe know when you leave.
FRIDAY AFTERNOON, DECEMBER 19
We will be winding down for the break Friday after our party by enjoying a movie afternoon. We will have the following movies available for viewing; students will sign up in class early next week. Please let your child's teacher know no later than Tuesday, December 16th if you would prefer that they NOT watch a particular movie so we may adjust his/her choices. You do not need to contact us if you are OK with all of the choices below.
- Rise of the Guardians (PG)
- The Santa Clause 2 (G)
- Ice Age (PG)
- The Polar Express (G)
- Frozen Sing Along (G)
A NOTE FROM NURSE AUDRA
Audra Abseck, RN
National Scripps Spelling Bee
Student in grades 3-5 are eligible to compete. The winner will advance to the next phase of the competition which will take place at Cedar Valley Middle School in Round Rock ISD on Tuesday, February 10th, 2015.
If you want to participate, click here to register. The 2015 School Spelling Bee Study List is linked below. Participation is completely voluntary and all preparation done at home.
For more information about Scripps National Spelling Bee, click here.
Karen & Stephanie